Gludy's Progress

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Gludy\'s Progress

It was a good weekend and the plan was to take the boat out for the first time - however the engine inspection by the local Volvo guy, put a stop to that. The good new was that the engines were OK but some basic maintainance had not been done. Anodes were down to almost pencils but not totally gone, a jubliee clip used in the exhaust system (fitted by a Volvo guy) was too large to tightem down, the temp alrams had been reovied from one engine - as it turns out a run of the engines proved these everytjing OK and the alarms were tested as working - so they had just not been connected!!! Air filters totally clogged and the wrong types fitted - I was told that I could not have been getting full power. Plus a few other things to do with how you should always check first line maintainance yourself.

The previous owner of this boat paid out for everything to be done opn a regular basis.

So all these things are being put right this week. I have experienced skipper to help me out next weekend, so subject to weather that is the first planned trip.

Paul

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: Gludy\'s Progress

Paul, the previous owner does'nt sound like a very conscientious guy irrespective of whether he says he paid for maintenance (has he showed you any receipts?). More likely he skimped on it; sounds like the engines have'nt been serviced for a couple of seasons if the air filter's blocked and the anodes shagged. I cant believe the temp. alarms were never connected; more likely they were disconnected because they were sounding off too much. Get your Volvo guy to thoroughly check the cooling systems.
As a general rule, if you pay for servicing, get the engineers to leave the old replaced parts on the boat so you're satisfied they have been changed

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

I saw the receipts!
Engines were overhauled about 18 months/2 years ago - again I have the receipts.
My engineer suspected the temp alarm disconnection just as you stated but even after sea trial top speed runs the temperature was OK. After inspecting it he concluded that the alrams were left off because of sloppy behaviour - just as the wrong size clip was fitted through careless behaviour.
The previous owner said he was a 'turn the key' boater and paid out to ensure this including a weekly valet service. I beleive him.

Paul

D

Deleted User YDKXO

If the engines have not been serviced since the overhaul then that might account for the blocked air filter and anodes since these are usually changed annually or more frequently. I did'nt appreciate that the engines had been overhauled so that may well account for the alarm disconnection but the alarms should light up/sound every time you turn the ignition switch on as a test so the previous owner cant have been very observant!

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com

There is an alarm test button - that did not work for the Port engine - it does now!
As it happens the engines sound sweet and I am having them checked out etc this week so it will all be OK for the weekend.
At least I can then set out with some confidence.

Paul

Other threads that may be of interest