Glad the solent is not like this!

sarabande

Visit site
what on earth happens at the propellers when the vessel is slammed to a halt ? Do they 'stall' or cavitate like mad with the difference in designed and actual water speed for their rpm ?

pampas

Visit site
Have spent hours during my deep sea career in the MN hanging on with one hand and slowing the engine down just before the stern comes clear.

jmmt

Visit site
Rough weather

I can tell you that's it's much much worse on the 12-4 night time watch! You can hear the storm but it's so much harder to tell where the really big ones are coming from so that you have a chance to alter course and/or adjust the revs...

You just hang on and keep an eye on the clinometer as you know the angle of heel where the metacenter goes above the center of gravity and your righting moment disappears...

macnorton

Visit site
what on earth happens at the propellers when the vessel is slammed to a halt ? Do they 'stall' or cavitate like mad with the difference in designed and actual water speed for their rpm ?

Normaly they are in the air by then, I actually had an old worn out diesel engine stall once when it bit water again!!

brianhumber

Visit site
Wimps - Try being in the Engine Room, trying to beat the overspeed trip from going every few minutes for hours even when down to Slow Ahead

You boys upstairs had it easy, nice big chart tables and wheel consoles to hang onto.

Happy Days

Brian