GJW Insurance

Esmerelda

Visit site
For those of you insured with GJW, you may be interested for to know that if you have the standard policy, your mast, sails and rigging are only covered in the event of stranding, sinking, fire or impact.

If you should lose the rig through any other circumstances, you will not be covered.

You can pay for additional cover (which in my case adds another 50% to the cost of the insurance), although the wording of the policy document makes it sound as though this additional cover would only apply while racing...

Bobc

Visit site
Not my understanding of the policy wording. Have you asked them and had it confirmed by them?

Esmerelda

Visit site
I have an email that confirms my understanding, relevant part pasted below:

".. further to my email earlier I have checked with our Claims Supervisor and she confirms your understanding is correct.

The policy only provides cover for damage to mast, sails and rigging due to stranding, sinking, fire or impact. You can purchase additional cover in the form of Endorsement 7 but we would need to know the replacement cost of mast, sails and rigging to calculate the additional premium."

Bobc

Visit site
We will pay the reasonable cost of repair or replacement for loss or damage whilst the Vessel is Incommission, ashore or afloat including lifting, hauling out and launching.

Impacts including stranding or grounding
Fire explosion
Heavy weather including lightning strikes
Damage which results from a Latent defect
Negligence
Theft
Malicious acts of third partiesincluding vandalism
Mast, rigging and sails caused by stranding, sinking, fire or impact

So they cover the rig for all the above eventualities, except when racing.

Bobc

Visit site
I have an email that confirms my understanding, relevant part pasted below:

".. further to my email earlier I have checked with our Claims Supervisor and she confirms your understanding is correct.

The policy only provides cover for damage to mast, sails and rigging due to stranding, sinking, fire or impact. You can purchase additional cover in the form of Endorsement 7 but we would need to know the replacement cost of mast, sails and rigging to calculate the additional premium."
Tell them to read their policy wording. I will contact their legal department for clarification.

Tranona

Visit site
There does not seem to be a specific exclusion for mast and rigging or a statement that it will only pay IF the loss is a result of stranding, sinking fire or impact.

Definitely needs clarification as the wording is ambiguous.

Mast and rigging has always been covered except when racing when an extra endorsement is required.

Reactions: Aja

Bobc

Visit site
Section 3 of policy document - what is covered is as per my post above. I will be very interested to hear what response you get
I see that, but in all the other eventualities listed above it, there is no exclusion listed for the rig, which means (in law) that it is covered.

I have just emailed their them and asked for clarification from their legal department. I suggest anyone else currently insured with them does the same.

[3889]

Visit site
GJW are no longer the good insurers they once were. A couple of years ago I wanted cover for a year starting in Portugal and ending in UK. All other companies offered me a policy with this as my cruising range. GJW's solution was to take out a policy for Iberia, cancel it, with associated admin costs, as I left Spain and take out a specific passage policy for Biscay and then take out another policy covering UK to Brest. It worked out as twice the price of Pants.

geem

Visit site
GJW are no longer the good insurers they once were. A couple of years ago I wanted cover for a year starting in Portugal and ending in UK. All other companies offered me a policy with this as my cruising range. GJW's solution was to take out a policy for Iberia, cancel it, with associated admin costs, as I left Spain and take out a specific passage policy for Biscay and then take out another policy covering UK to Brest. It worked out as twice the price of Pants.
My surveyor told me to steer clear of them. I think he said they had been purched by another company but they kept the name GJW

Esmerelda

Visit site
Update to my original post, mast rig and sails are covered for things other than fire, sinking, stranding and impact. The lady who called is going to confirm this in writing and confirmed there had been misunderstanding in the previous emails I had been sent

Bobc

Visit site
Update to my original post, mast rig and sails are covered for things other than fire, sinking, stranding and impact. The lady who called is going to confirm this in writing and confirmed there had been misunderstanding in the previous emails I had been sent
I have just had the same call from her, and she says that she is going to put something in writing to everyone confirming this.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
GJW were frankly amazing a few years back when I had a 10k claim. STUPID accident 😳.

After the initial phone call everything was done online … they approved the repairers estimate without need to obtain others and all I had to do was send them my excess payment once I was happy with the work.

Really hope any apparent takeover hasn’t changed the level of service.

Aja

Visit site
I see that, but in all the other eventualities listed above it, there is no exclusion listed for the rig, which means (in law) that it is covered.

I have just emailed their them and asked for clarification from their legal department. I suggest anyone else currently insured with them does the same.

I would agree, the rig is part of the vessel and as such should be insured if damaged as would the hull.

Greg2

Visit site
Not that we have a mast with sails I was nonetheless pleased to read that the query about an apparent (unreasonable) exclusion was satisfactorily resolved having just taken out a policy with GJW yesterday!

My research indicated that they were pretty good and I have to say that I like the clarity with which their policy documents are written as well as cover being for the agreed value of the boat.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
I have been with GJW for over 20 years and had two claims with them (neither my fault) which were both settle quickly and professionally.

However putting my surveyors hat on almost all decent insurances policies also have a clause saying it is the owners responsibility to maintain the vessel in a 'seaworthy condition' so if your mast comes down and your standing rigging is found to be old (most say over 12 years) you might be in for a surprise when they will decline the claim due to the vessel has not been maintained in a seaworthy condition unless written evidence is provided.

PS: Always keep any renewal or repairs receipts to your standing rigging as this can show you have maintained the standing rigging over time