FWB

N/A
Visit site
_51590530_img_2168.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12684156

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Just when the Forum was beginning to become respectable again.

... they let in folk from Balloch!

Oi you, Outside! I was brung up in Balloch! :)

Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't Bonhill.

My favourite ever Viz Profanisaurus definition, by the way, was

Giroscope (n). A satellite television dish.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The thing that beats me is that there are authorized organizations looking after place-names; you can't just give a place a name because you fancy doing so. The OS primarily looks after the land-locked bits of the UK, of course. This is well known to ANYONE making maps in a serious way. So, how did the cartographers think they could get away with making up names on a map without consulting the OS? I can't do it in Antarctica (not the OS; a different body) - and I'd stand a much better chance of getting away with it there!

The whole incident puts the cartographic and map-making credentials of those involved in a very poor light indeed - so much so that I'd be reluctant to trust the result. Comments from locals suggest that in addition to the place-name foul-up, there are gross errors in the bathymetry as well.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Dear AP,
from recent threads it seems that GoogleEarth has the ability & power to move stuff around at will. I understood that map makers were often deliberately misled by locals telling them the wrong names for locations? It may not be so common today, but General Wade's mapmakers would not have been welcomed in the Highlands in the late C18.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Ah, General Wade...

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
May, by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush
And, like a torrent, rush
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King."

(a missing verse from the National Anthem)

He left us some useful roads & nice bridges tho' :p

One of Gen Wade's Bridges built to keepthe Scots under control;

01072010068.jpg

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Dear AP,
from recent threads it seems that GoogleEarth has the ability & power to move stuff around at will. I understood that map makers were often deliberately misled by locals telling them the wrong names for locations? It may not be so common today, but General Wade's mapmakers would not have been welcomed in the Highlands in the late C18.

Google, unfortunately, is a law unto itself for place-names.

The OS takes it's responsibilities towards place-names very seriously, and actually does do research on the ground to determine what the locals call features. Of course, if the locals wish to take the p###, they can - but it takes a very well organized bunch of locals! Not saying it hasn't happened - General Wade, of course, didn't take the same sort of trouble - but these days it is unlikely.

It is also worth remembering that in an area like the Highlands, where mountain ridges may separate communities, the community on one side of a feature may give it a different name from those on another side. In cases like that, a choice has to be made.

My point is, though, that there is an organization with the responsibility of managing place-name databases, and that a cartographer who simply invents names on a map is behaving in an incredibly unprofessional manner. Even in Antarctica, where we often have to erect new place-names, there is a well-established procedure, and proposals are carefully vetted before being approved (I am responsible for about three place-names being given; none of them after me - my favourite is "Isengard Bluff"!)

A final point - in Antarctica we have sometimes had to remove names in common use, because they had never been officially approved, and violated guide-lines (usually by being too unspecific, or through duplication). This is very unlikely in the UK, because otherwise there would only be one "Sgeir Dubh"!

Last edited: