Gig restoration

stuartbaggs

Visit site
Hi

Is there anyone on here who is familiar with Home Counties rowing boats (gigs)?
We are a Sea Scout group and are looking to restore one of ours.

I will receive more photos soon, but this photo shows the basic shape and form. The hull completely GRP with wooden thwarts and gunwale. The GRP seems to be in pretty good condition but the wood needs sorting.

Would any one be able to advise me if all that is needed is a sand down and varnish or is there more we would need to do?

Thanks very much.
gig.jpg

mikefleetwood

Visit site
Depends on the condition of the wooden bits. If there's any rotten or damaged bits, then they will need repair - perhaps you need to contact a local boat club to get someone to look/advise.

If no significant damage/rot, or after suitable repair, rub down and varnish. If it has been previously painted, or the wood is a bit battered or stained, then paint would be best.

You really need someone to look at it and advise. You don't give away much location information, but maybe there's a forum member near you?

Keith 66

Visit site
Those hulls are strongly built so shouldnt give too much trouble, any rotten timber will have to be replaced. I wouldnt bother with varnish its a training boat that has had & will no doubt get a lot of hard use. When its stripped & repaired best thing is sadolin or other similar woodstain, easier than varnish & more durable.

Visit site
Is that a tabernacle in the bow (between the two boys)?
If it is then, if you want a full restoration, you're going to need a mast, sails, rigging etc.

Timcowen

Visit site
As a quick aside, read this and it took me back to my youth in the 4th New Forest East Sea Scouts. There would be a regatta held at the Military base at Marchwood on Southampton Water. I recall coxing a gig , all wood , to victory on one occasion. Probably down to a good crew if truth were known. As I recall we got up a fair old turn of speed and the secret of our success was a good tight turn on the mark and plenty of 'backwater port'
Happy days.

Tim