Gibraltar - restaurant in the vicinity

lfabio

Visit site
Folks,
let me know if this request is too specific or in the wrong area. I read a few dozen threads and it seems to fit, but I may be mistaken.

A group of very nice fellows are presently somewhere in the northern half of the Atlantic. The general idea is for them to show up in Gibraltar at the end of the month.

When they do arrive, I thought it would be nice to take them out to dinner, among other things. I know that Spain has some excellent food, but I am unfamiliar with southern Spain (I should say, with most of the country save for three or four very small areas).

Anywhere worth going to, within a decent radius from the marina in Gibraltar? Somewhat informal is probably better and it would be best if they served both meat and fish.

I can't really find any pertinent information and I'm usually pretty decent with Google.

capnsensible

Visit site
As Samantha says, there are dozens of restaurants all around the area.

Which marina are they going to?

At Queensway, try Le Bateaux. Run by Danny who has featured on TV. They have Brazillian style Churiscoria out back, carnivores delight.

At Marina Bay, choice is endless. 20 odd places to suit all tastes. My favouites: for fish, El Faro. For Indian, Charlies. Pub grub, the Ship. Also Chimese, Cuban, Pizza, Indian, etc, etc.

Enjoy!

Edit. El Faro also is meat as well as fish. Probably the most 'Spanish' style nearby.

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
We like Cafe Solo near the entrance to Casemates Square - modern international with an Italian slant. There are loads of restaurants in Gib, but not that many that are above average or Spanish style.

lfabio

Visit site
Thank you folks for the suggestions.

Tripadvisor for restaurants is... a bit hit and miss (I'm feeling very generous today).

They're going to be in Marina Bay / Ocean village, Queensway couldn't guarantee enough draft (which was surprising, but that's another post).

I think it'd be best to try for Spanish, I think El Faro may fit the bill though the couple of reviews I found were sort of sad.

lfabio

Visit site
Thank you Samantha.

As to restaurant reviews, well, it's a bit of a complicated subject and really not pertinent to the forum, but here goes my opinion: personal preferences and experiences certainly colour perception but some basic facts are more or less not in dispute - quality of ingredients, technical ability, creativity... However, priorities are also different, thus the problem with Tripadvisor - apart from the notorious fact that reviews are for sale - is that there is such a broad spectrum of preferences and experiences that it's very hard to extract useful information. I have had indifferent luck, thus I'd rather ask people elsewhere.

Your collective input, therefore, is much appreciated!