Gib stopover. Any VAT implications.

Stingo

Visit site
My boat is UK Part 1 registered and EU VAT paid i.e. it was in a marina on Brexit-day. I am an EU resident and a UK national. If I stopover in Gib, will those officious Customs & Excise money grabbers demand a VAT payment from me?
TIA

mcafzap

Visit site
My boat is UK Part 1 registered and EU VAT paid i.e. it was in a marina on Brexit-day. I am an EU resident and a UK national. If I stopover in Gib, will those officious Customs & Excise money grabbers demand a VAT payment from me?
TIA
Well that's the way I see it; what a bloody mess Brexit has caused. I have the Dutch VAT certificate for my boat yet if I take it back to England I would have to pay it again!

Tranona

Visit site
Well that's the way I see it; what a bloody mess Brexit has caused. I have the Dutch VAT certificate for my boat yet if I take it back to England I would have to pay it again!
Only if you are a UK resident. - answer to post#2

Actually that is an oversimplification as VAT is a tax on transactions, not on boats and moving a boat from one VAT area to another is a transaction (or chargeable event) for which there potential reliefs depending on specific circumstances related to the owner and the boat. Using the word "again" opens up possibilities of using one of the reliefs.

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Gibraltar is a VAT free jurisdiction.

Only form of transactional taxation in Gibraltar is import duties.
Import duties are levied on goods imported into Gibraltar, mostly at rates of 0% - 12%.

And since you're only in transit...

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
TIA
Any Vat Goods (a yacht) leaving the EU Waters will automatically loose its Vat status when it leaves EU Waters. However the Vat status can be regained as it was the moment they left EU Waters, by the sold action of re-crossing the borders. however it must be under the same ownership and without major expense other than necessary maintenance ( a new engine would be fine - but not a major rebuild) and within 3 years of leaving. You can plead exceptional circumstances if longer - but note that its rarely if every been used! Of course in Greece they have some other weird ideas - but they are gradually getting there and in general terms its just the Dodecanese area thats the problem - centred on Rhodes.