Getting bags etc from UK to Portugal and vice versa?

Jungle Jim

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to have met a lovely lady Brit expat who lives just north of Faro so we have a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing via Ryanair. That's fine but their hold luggage can be pricey and we try and do hand luggage only which can be a bit constraining. Does anyone know how we can get things like suitcases, or my sailing kit for example, across separately for a reasonable price?

Heckler

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to have met a lovely lady Brit expat who lives just north of Faro so we have a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing via Ryanair. That's fine but their hold luggage can be pricey and we try and do hand luggage only which can be a bit constraining. Does anyone know how we can get things like suitcases, or my sailing kit for example, across separately for a reasonable price?

If you pay for a suitcase when you book tickets its only £25? Thats for twenty kilos, my genoa for a 38ft boat is only 15 kilos. We use a big soft bag, only pay for one way, then the soft bag is rolled up and comes back stuffed in to the cabin bag.

colind3782

Visit site
Once a year in the Spring I make up a parcel of stuff I can't take in the cabin, tools, sharps, liquids etc., and send it to the marina in Empuriabrava by courier, DPD is usually cheapest. Also, a friend with the boat next door drives to Spain at least once a summer so we can arrange for him to take stuff in his car. I would bet that there are a lot of people who drive down to the Algarve periodically so it could be worth asking around the forums?

maxi77

Visit site
There are several transport companies in the Algarve who do weekly trips to and from the Algarve, details in the English language papers. You send you package to the UK warehouse and they bring it out and you can either have it delivered or collect from the Algarve warehouse. Same process going back. Prices are reasonable and they can be more reliable than couriers, Mrs Maxi's glasses got as far as Loule but the courier could not find Armacao de Pera so they went back to UK.

[3889]

Visit site
Intrested in this thread as I'm trying to move stuff to Portugal, though near Porto rather than the Algarve. I've looked at a range of companies and none of them come close to matching Ryanair on price where you get 30kg for £35. This consists of £25 for a 20kg bag and £10 for a "checked in cabin bag" (?).
I'm squeezing in a 100w solar panel, 34m genoa, 5l of antifoul and a 2A fuse.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Intrested in this thread as I'm trying to move stuff to Portugal, though near Porto rather than the Algarve. I've looked at a range of companies and none of them come close to matching Ryanair on price where you get 30kg for £35. This consists of £25 for a 20kg bag and £10 for a "checked in cabin bag" (?).
I'm squeezing in a 100w solar panel, 34m genoa, 5l of antifoul and a 2A fuse.

I bet you can't get that past airport security:)