Getting a valve replaced in an Avon (hypalon) dinghy in the Algarve

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Order one on the internet and do it yourself?

I was intending to order one on the internet, but the 'doing it myself' bit is the bit I am not keen on.

Glue and I aren't best pals, and cutting a huge hole in a dinghy that stays inflated most of the time is a bit intimidating.

Valve is £13.50 or thereabouts, the kit with special glue etc is three times that, so finding someone who does this regularly, professionally seems like a good idea.

Also, I only paid £80 for the dinghy!!

- W

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
It will involve replacing this
oldvalve.jpg
with this
newvalve.jpg
. . . so precision cutting and gluing required.

If anyone has done it before successfully I am happy to pay them or barter for it.

- W

penfold

Visit site
You can still buy A4 valves AFAIK, so like-for-like should be possible? If the valve is leaking have you tried either cleaning the diaphragm or in the last resort replacing it? changing the whole valve is definitely the nuclear option.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
You can still buy A4 valves AFAIK, so like-for-like should be possible? If the valve is leaking have you tried either cleaning the diaphragm or in the last resort replacing it? changing the whole valve is definitely the nuclear option.

There doesn't seem to be any way to get at the diaphram to replace or clean it.

a4.jpg

Replacing still involves cuttnig a hole and gluing the new one in, so I don;t see the point in replacing like for like.

Most threads on the subject say replace with the new C7 type. The aft chamber has the new type of valve.

- W

greeny

Visit site
The last time one of mine started leaking a bit I gave it a good spray inside with some silicone spray. It seemed to wash it out and lubricated it and left a residue that assisted with it sealing afterwards. It was on my rib and so I did all 4 of the valves at the same time.
That was a year ago and its not leaked since.
You haven't said if it's just a slight leak problem or something more major (or I didn't see it) but if its a leak, try the spray first. It may save you an awkward job.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
The last time one of mine started leaking a bit I gave it a good spray inside with some silicone spray. It seemed to wash it out and lubricated it and left a residue that assisted with it sealing afterwards. It was on my rib and so I did all 4 of the valves at the same time.
That was a year ago and its not leaked since.
You haven't said if it's just a slight leak problem or something more major (or I didn't see it) but if its a leak, try the spray first. It may save you an awkward job.

It;s a random total deflation situation.

It has never happened while we are in it, but we have three come back to the dinghy when we have been ashore to find the front compartment totally deflated, and also had it happen twice when the dinghy is behind the boat and we are at anchor.

Will try the silicone spray.

- W

SaltIre

Visit site
Is there a way you can connect the two chambers internally and simply seal the faulty valve with "Faulty Valve Sealer"? Then inflate the dinghy from the one valve.
OK, you'd need to make a couple of slits in the dinghy to get at whatever separates the two chambers, which would then need repaired, but that might be easier than replacing the valve.

I suppose if a repair leaks, or the non-faulty valve leaks, you might go glug-glug...o_O

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Is there a way you can connect the two chambers internally and simply seal the faulty valve with "Faulty Valve Sealer"? Then inflate the dinghy from the one valve.
OK, you'd need to make a couple of slits in the dinghy to get at whatever separates the two chambers, which would then need repaired, but that might be easier than replacing the valve.

I suppose if a repair leaks, or the non-faulty valve leaks, you might go glug-glug...o_O

I can see why you were a gas passer and not a surgeon! :p

- W