Geting an inflateble dinghy to Greece

Caladh

Visit site
Our tried and tested Waveline 230R had to be dispatched to the yard dustbin in Samos last week. I'm hoping to buy another "improved" version, but am a little stuck on how to send it out from the UK due to it's size. Anyone done something like this before. I am aware of the vans that go to a from to the Ionian but that's not much help as we are in the Aegean. I have had a quote from a chandlery here in the UK for it to be lorried out there.

nickf

Visit site
Most of the usual carrier companies will take it oor £30 - 50 depending on size/weight. Buying through UK chandler/dealer and paying transport costs is likely to be cheaper than buying in Greece in my experience. Most Uk chandlers will quote for delivery in Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Most of the usual carrier companies will take it oor £30 - 50 depending on size/weight. Buying through UK chandler/dealer and paying transport costs is likely to be cheaper than buying in Greece in my experience. Most Uk chandlers will quote for delivery in Greece.
Nic I don't think it be 30 to 50 , when I ask seamark nun for a price they wanted 150 .

macd

Visit site
Caladh: if you plans next year are likely to take you to Turkey, it may be worth buying there. Prices are substantially cheaper than in Greece (and the rest of the European Med). 12 months ago we bought a 2.4m GRP-floored RIB there for around £600 from East Marine. Very pleased with it.

Caladh

Visit site
Caladh: if you plans next year are likely to take you to Turkey, it may be worth buying there. Prices are substantially cheaper than in Greece (and the rest of the European Med). 12 months ago we bought a 2.4m GRP-floored RIB there for around £600 from East Marine. Very pleased with it.

The £50 price applies to items to 30kg which is ok for the dinghy. However it's the size that makes the cost increase. Waveline don't appear to have agents in Greece or Turkey.

macd

Visit site
The £50 price applies to items to 30kg which is ok for the dinghy. However it's the size that makes the cost increase. Waveline don't appear to have agents in Greece or Turkey.

If you're completeley wedded to Waveline, then you'll have to go where that leads you. Implicit in my suggestion was that you might consider something else. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Cspirit

Visit site
Like Vyv, I bought a Sunsport from Boating Mania. Their price, including delivery to Leros in Greece was the same as the retail price quoted by our local dealer in the UK. Good service, quick delivery and we are very pleased with the quality of the Sunsport.

Caladh

Visit site
Like Vyv, I bought a Sunsport from Boating Mania. Their price, including delivery to Leros in Greece was the same as the retail price quoted by our local dealer in the UK. Good service, quick delivery and we are very pleased with the quality of the Sunsport.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll have a look at the Sunsport dinghy but I went for waveline (again) due to packed size and round tail.
BUT interesting to hear that carriage from UK to Leros was £56 rather than the £100 quoted by a well known S coast chandler.

V1701

Visit site
There's a guy that does UK to Porto Heli who I've used before to cart a load of stuff to Greece & he was very reasonable. PM if you'd like his contact details...

chrisgee

Visit site
Our tried and tested Waveline 230R had to be dispatched to the yard dustbin in Samos last week. I'm hoping to buy another "improved" version, but am a little stuck on how to send it out from the UK due to it's size. Anyone done something like this before. I am aware of the vans that go to a from to the Ionian but that's not much help as we are in the Aegean. I have had a quote from a chandlery here in the UK for it to be lorried out there.

Sent similar one to Preveza and had it picked up from home and delivered within 6 days for about £50.00 . Excellent service from Fast Lane International.
I am amazed that having sold us something the Chandlers seem to have no idea how to get it abroad at a cheap price or do they want a profit on the delivery as well as the goods!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I am in the same position. My dinghy melted in the Greek sun.
http://www.cygnus3.com/the-un-inflatable-inflatable-dinghy/
If you get a normal dinghy they tend to last about 5 years in Greece before the glue melts unless you put some form of chaps or protection on them.
I have been searching around and getting quotes over the last few weeks for a new dinghy but my preference is for a rib (aluminium bottom) and hyperlon tubes to be delivered to Crete in Greece.
The best I have found at the moment is AB ribs so I have got quotes for two of them.
I have found I can get a discount by ordering two but transport is pretty expensive because they do not fold up.
One firm quoted me to deliver by road £810 which included putting both dinghies on a pallet and delivering door to door.
Other firms were far cheaper.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
If you get a normal dinghy they tend to last about 5 years in Greece before the glue melts unless you put some form of chaps or protection on them.

I bought my Quicksilver 2.6 in 2003. It has been towed almost full time all the way to Greece over 10 years. It has never had a cloth cover. I then sold it as it is a little big for our foredeck. It went to a friend who is delighted with it. This is a dinghy with welded tubes but ancillary parts are glued on. The material and welds are still fine but a few glued joints are failing, although being mostly non-critical they are not too tricky to fix. Quicksilver are now SunSport, whose 2.3 ARIB I bought as a replacement. It fits the foredeck but is otherwise nowhere near as user friendly as the 2.6.

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I am in the same position. My dinghy melted in the Greek sun.
http://www.cygnus3.com/the-un-inflatable-inflatable-dinghy/
I have been searching around and getting quotes over the last few weeks for a new dinghy but my preference is for a rib (aluminium bottom) and hyperlon tubes to be delivered to Crete in Greece.
The best I have found at the moment is AB ribs so I have got quotes for two of them.
I have found I can get a discount by ordering two but transport is pretty expensive because they do not fold up.
One firm quoted me to deliver by road £810 which included putting both dinghies on a pallet and delivering door to door.
Other firms were far cheaper.

I have a AB UL8 (Alumininium hull) I negotiated for it when I bought my boat earlier this year in Greece, they are fantastic but eye wateringly expensive- I have all the receipts from where is was bought in lefkas, so no delivery/ courier charges.
If your interested I'll dig out the invoice and get exactly who the company was who sold it.

Cheers

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I have a AB UL8 (Alumininium hull) I negotiated for it when I bought my boat earlier this year in Greece, they are fantastic but eye wateringly expensive- I have all the receipts from where is was bought in lefkas, so no delivery/ courier charges.
If your interested I'll dig out the invoice and get exactly who the company was who sold it.

Cheers

The dreamoneday, Could you dig it out... I have just had another quote and get this.. the price for delivery for 2 is £1780..... it was not a mistake £1780 with 3 to 4 weeks delivery!!