German Registered boat purchase

MarkR

Visit site
Hi,

I am looking at buying a sail boat currently registered on the Deutscher-Segler-Verband under the German flag. As it is <15m there is no requirement for lien or mortgage information to be held on the register and none is available for this boat.

The DSV in Hamburg did confirm that the owner's name and boat id matched and that they have held the registration since 1997 but could give no other information due to data protection....

So, I am left with being unable to officially confirm the title other than using the checking finance houses, vendor's insurers, the marina, the yacht club, etc. I have asked for the original bill of sale, maintenance & VAT receipts, etc.

There is a (Spanish) broker involved but the have reffered to a "simple" contract that basically establishes the people involved, using passports, names the boat as seen and states the price.

Anyone with similar experience and/or suggestions.....

Mark R.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailorman

Visit site
how about the present owner "swearing" an afidavit ( spelling ) or similar.
i have one from my previous owner relating to the vat.
my boat is vat exempt & i have papers to prove it.
i think y need to get "legal"

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stemar

Visit site
A condition in the contract specifying that the boat is sold free of all mortgages and other debts (get a solicitor with experience of local laws to draw it up) will at least give you the option of suing the previous owner if the worst should happen.

International litigation is something where only the lawyers get rich, so whether it's worth undertaking is another matter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
If you're planning to UK part 1 register it, you'll need proof of de-registration from foreign register,I believe.

You're in a better situation than many purchasers, at least it's registered.

Do what checks you can, then take the boat asap once you've paid, was best advice I could find in similar circ's.

<hr width=100% size=1>