Genoa sheet car question

VicS

Visit site

William_H

Visit site
Interesting concept the dual sheaves on the genoa car. I think I would prefer one large sheave however as the larger diameter will minimise friction of the sheave on the axle. The idea that 2 sheaves will share the degree of turning of the sheet so share the load and hence friction will depend to a large degree on the angle of the sheet to the sail.
Anyway the added sheave to enable remote control of the car from the cockpit is good except that you either have to have bungee to take the car the other way or 2 tackles for fore or aft movement. (would need 2 sheaves one each end) Even then I doubt you could move it with a lot of load on despite their claim that a plastic liner will reduce friction on the track.
All very interesting. Anyone have any experience or comments? olewill

flaming

Visit site
Interesting concept the dual sheaves on the genoa car. I think I would prefer one large sheave however as the larger diameter will minimise friction of the sheave on the axle. The idea that 2 sheaves will share the degree of turning of the sheet so share the load and hence friction will depend to a large degree on the angle of the sheet to the sail.
Anyway the added sheave to enable remote control of the car from the cockpit is good except that you either have to have bungee to take the car the other way or 2 tackles for fore or aft movement. (would need 2 sheaves one each end) Even then I doubt you could move it with a lot of load on despite their claim that a plastic liner will reduce friction on the track.
All very interesting. Anyone have any experience or comments? olewill

The car moves aft as soon as the load from the sheet comes on. No bungee or other rope is required. Even this basic design will not have a problem moving aft under load, moving the car forward under load might be a bit more problematic...

BabaYaga

Visit site
I use these genoa cars on my boat. The benefit of having a 2:1 tackle to move it forwards is rather marginal in my view, as it is so much easier to do this when there is no (or at least reduced) load on the sheet. But the ability to adjust the car's position from the cockpit is really valuable.
Normally I tend to reduce sail when tacking, in which case the car on the lazy side can be positioned well in advance.
As mentioned, the car will move back under load, but I find it is still useful to be able to pull the car backwards from the cockpit, in lighter winds. The car has a threaded hole in its back side, that takes an eye bolt for this line.