Genoa overlap

Sandro

Visit site
Good morning to everybody,
My brother is fitting a roller reefing forestay on his steel, Sciarrelli designed, mast-head rigged, 13.5 m ketch Raireva.
Ordering the new genoa, he wonders how much is the best overlap - or foot length - to go for.
The boat has also a removable inner forestay were a smaller jib can be hanked on.
All suggestions and comments will be welcome and carefully considered as, once the sail is made, there is no room for changing mind.
Many thanks for the answers, have nice sailings.

Sandro

michael_w

Visit site
For furling headsails the normal overlap is 135% LP. If it is never windy where you sail, The maximum LP could be 150%, any more and tacking and backwinding of the mainsail becomes a problem. Your sailmaker will know what to advise,

LP means Length Perpendicular; measure at right angle from the luff to the clew.

davidbains

Visit site
I specified a high clew and smaller overlap for my roller Genoa. Makes tacking and reefing easier, and requires less movement of the genoa car traveller.
However I also use a self tacking staysail frequently and a lighweight MPG less often.

William_H

Visit site
With a roller reefing you would usually go for the largest (longest foot) genoa you can fit in. Considering the position of jib sheet cars and the possibility of fouling the side stays.

However if there is generally plenty of wind and you don't mind motoring in light conditions (ie not racing ) then a smaller genoa is both cheaper and sets better in stronger winds. ie the more rolled up the genoa the worse the performance. AFAIK.

So the answer to the question is a fully variable one. Me.... I like individual jibs olewill

Sandro

Visit site
Thank you all, I think I'll suggest my brother to have a 150% overlapping genoa, because the wind here is most of the time light (ecept when it is too much and the genoa would be completely rolled).