Generic pump to fit Jabsco heads. Any good?

skyflyer

Visit site
Anyone fitted a non-OEM manual pump to their Jabsco heads and can report back?
My current (24 year old) pump is leaking and looking at cost of a service kit I'm inclined to replace it outright.
A quick google shows many non-Jabsco pattern versions.
Do you get what you pay for or are they any good?
Cheers
[edited to add] For the avoidance of doubt and to prevent needless trolling, if you choose to respond I'd be most grateful if you could expand on why. Thank you!

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
My current (24 year old) pump is leaking and looking at cost of a service kit I'm inclined to replace it outright.
Cheers

You get what you pay for.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Cheers
Just paid £30 for a full service kit. Not expensive

skyflyer

Visit site
I didn't think that proper Jabsco ones were that expensive? I bought a complete full-size Jabsco toilet assembly for £100-ish 5 years ago

One man's inexpensive is another man's extravagance!

You get what you pay for.

Based on your personal experience or is that just your general philosophy? There's a whole thread on Chinese Diesel Heaters to develop both sides of that argument!

Just paid £30 for a full service kit. Not expensive

It is if the faulty part isnt one of the service kit parts. Service kit also doesnt include some wearing parts, anyway

• Sad
Reactions: pvb

pvb

Visit site
One man's inexpensive is another man's extravagance!

Based on your personal experience or is that just your general philosophy? There's a whole thread on Chinese Diesel Heaters to develop both sides of that argument!

It is if the faulty part isnt one of the service kit parts. Service kit also doesnt include some wearing parts, anyway

Are you here for just a 5 minute argument, or would you like longer?

I'm always bewildered when people post on here asking for advice, and then rubbish the advice they're given. You obviously know best, so buy what you like. No-one here will care.

skyflyer

Visit site
Are you here for just a 5 minute argument, or would you like longer?

I'm always bewildered when people post on here asking for advice, and then rubbish the advice they're given. You obviously know best, so buy what you like. No-one here will care.

You didnt give advice you gave an unsubstantiated opinion. I'm alway surprised when people ask a question on this forum and instead of answering it as posed, others start to re-hash the question and/or give an opinion on the decisions that the OP has already taken!

So on exactly what basis are you saying that the lower cost pattern pumps are of poorer quality than the 'real thing'? Thats the question I asked, if you dont want to answer it properly then nobody will care except me :)

• Sad
Reactions: pvb

pvb

Visit site
You didnt give advice you gave an unsubstantiated opinion. I'm alway surprised when people ask a question on tis forum and instead of answering it as posed others start to re-hash the question and give an opinion on the decisons that the OP has already taken!

So on exactly what basis are you saying that the lower cost pattern pumps are of poorer quality than the 'real thing'? Thats the question Ia s ket, if you dont want to answer it properly then nobody will care except me :)

Ah, so you want a longer argument! You specifically asked "Do you get what you pay for..." and I answered you honestly, exactly as it was posed, so don't try to wriggle out of that.

I haven't said that "the lower cost pattern pumps are of poorer quality than the 'real thing'", so don't misquote me.

skyflyer

Visit site
To make a considered comparison how about a link to the after market replacement you are considering?

Here are two:

Marine Manual Toilet Pump Body Lt-0 Lt-1 Lalizas Novrade
Quality Marine Manual Toilet Pump Fits All Albin, Jabsco, Johnson

There's not a huge cost saving vs a Jabsco, but if the pattern parts are just as good then why not.

But really I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually fitted one and a simple review along the lines of either "no problem at all" or "worst mistake I ever made"

Otherwise I am just getting an opinion based on conjecture - which was how pvb successfully wound me up :)

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
With the minuscule price difference between the Jabsco original and the knock off, I’d buy the original one. That said, if you know which parts need replacement, then just buy those parts rather than a service kit. I’ve got a collection of bits on the boat as a result of mistakenly buying service kits when I could have just bought the bits that needed replacement.
Its also a distinct possibility that nobodies actually fitted one of the knockoff pumps hence no direct experience to report......

skyflyer

Visit site
With the minuscule price difference between the Jabsco original and the knock off, I’d buy the original one. That said, if you know which parts need replacement, then just buy those parts rather than a service kit. I’ve got a collection of bits on the boat as a result of mistakenly buying service kits when I could have just bought the bits that needed replacement.
Its also a distinct possibility that nobodies actually fitted one of the knockoff pumps hence no direct experience to report......

Indeed - I was simply curious!

Neeves

Visit site
I thought I might try to offer some more focussed comment.

We have 2 standard manual toilet. I decided to mechanise one of them about 15 years ago. The option was a TMC pump ( Marine Equipment,Pumps,Wipers,Blowers& Fans,Toilets,hardware,Injection Molding Machine,Magnet-TMC TECHNOLOGY CORP. ) or the Jabsco unit. The 2 units looked identical - everything was the same except price (and I have forgotten what the price was). The conversion was simple - it was a simple 'plug in'. We had spare circuit breakers on the electric panel I used one of them.

Move forward to now

The same units are still available the TMC unit costs A$200 and the Jabsco unit costs A$319. The TMC unit has run flawlessly and we live on the boat for 3 months a year and use the cat fairly intensively when not 'living' aboard. Now the Jabsco unit might be much better - but I don't know how you can measure much better - when the TMC unit has lasted 15 years.

I'm just replacing a freshwater pump, Flojet, pressure switch - the new pump costs A$300 and the pressure switch costs A$80. I'm changing the pressure switch - the price difference is too great - but the cost of the pressure switch is questionable. A TMC pump costs A$200 (same rating). If I needed to buy a new pump head (everything except the motor) - I'd buy a complete and new TMC. This is the second time I have had need to replace the pressure switch (maybe I should have bought the TMC unit back then :( )

Jonathan

apologies - I should read the posts, much, more carefully. I now note the OP is looking at manual toilets, not electric - though ours does require the individual to press a button!

Sorry - I'll try to be more careful in the future.

J

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
My boat, equipped with a Jabsco head, came with a spare Jabsco pump in need of refurbishment, so I bought a Jabsco service kit and brought it up to spec, then wrapped it up and stowed it in the spares locker. When the existing pump began to develop problems while on passage, it was a simple job to substitute the spare pump for the original one, which was then wrapped up in two or three plastic bags and stowed until it could be repaired at the end of the trip.
In the absence of possessing a used pump, I think it would have been worth buying a complete spare one, so as to obviate the need to deal with offending one while at sea.

davidwf

Visit site
The Johnson Marine Sea Toilet and Jabsco pumps are not interchangeable, how do I know that well its because I tried fitting a Jabsco pump on the Johnson,.

However the bowls are interchangeable I know that because rather than take the pump back I replaced the base with a Jabsco one

Cantata

Visit site
I think that TMC loos are actually Jabsco but rebadged - I looked at these when Down Under.
I would go along with the advice to used branded parts.
An alternative for the OP might be that I have a complete used Jabsco loo in my shed (no I haven't used it in my shed), good clean nick, recent pump with the twist'n'lock handle. Could sell it to you for a reasonable sum but carriage from Kent to Worcester would be probibitive I should think.

dgadee

Visit site
I just bought a new toilet complete. £140 including delivery. Keeps the crew happy, too, with a nice new look to the heads. The one I replaced was only 6 years old but already a bit tatty (colouring to plastic of pump, etc).

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I was considering asking the exact same question as the OP did 4 years ago but reading the hilarious and honestly useless answers received I am swayed towards spending the extra £30 on the Jabsco original from local Seamark Nunn.
However, curiosity as it is, I wondered if anyone had actually bought the budget Nuova Rade Toilet Pump replacement and had any comments?
( I am wondering why a respected supplier Seamark Nunn would list both if the budget model was not viable? )
Please don't get into a fluster, but I have a few boat expenses this year and £30 might buy something else.