Gas , refillable

sfellows

Visit site
Does anyone know where you can get a 7kg butane gas bottle with a standard screw-on fitting? Most seem to have the push-on these days and I'd like to refill my 4.5kg bottle. I know calor distribution centres have them but they don't seem to want to sell the bottle (just swap).

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Does anyone know where you can get a 7kg butane gas bottle with a standard screw-on fitting? Most seem to have the push-on these days and I'd like to refill my 4.5kg bottle. I know calor distribution centres have them but they don't seem to want to sell the bottle (just swap).

You will be better off getting a 15 or 13 KG bottle. Plenty of used ones on ebay and gumtree.

My local Calor supplier swopped a 3.9 KG propane for a 13KG one.

I have now filled three 3.9's and there is a little left.

My 13KG propane has LH screw on fittings, same as the 3.9's.

wingcommander

Visit site
Yep, I had propane on my last boat, it was better. So what do you fill at the forecourts that's 'legal' , I can choose what bottle now just don't want to get one that's going to be discontinued sometime .
Yes like Vyv says their are specific types of bottles that are refillable at designated filling stations. However the ones that ime referring to ( the exchange for a full bottle type ) are definitely the type you are breaking the law home filling. That said it works out a lot cheaper if you know what I mean nuge nuge wink wink

KompetentKrew

Visit site
We bought refillable gas bottles. These were the ones we chose:Gaslow LPG Refillable Cylinders Archives

We’ve occasionally had a problem finding somewhere to fill them and been turned away from a garage forecourt, but if they’ve been in the boot of a car there’s been no problem. (Even when the forecourt attendant has filled for us!) We’ve got fill adapters for most filling options. The gas is a fraction of the cost of 907 cylinders.
Thank you. I think Gaslow is the brand I had in mind - there is a dealer near Malaga when I'm over that way.

PeterBoater

Visit site
Yes like Vyv says their are specific types of bottles that are refillable at designated filling stations. However the ones that ime referring to ( the exchange for a full bottle type ) are definitely the type you are breaking the law home filling. That said it works out a lot cheaper if you know what I mean nuge nuge wink wink
"definitely the type you are breaking the law home filling". Please quote the specific law. If you mean Calor's own contract 'rules', if one did not obtain the bottles directly from Calor, ie second-hand, there is no contract with Calor to break. While one of course has to be careful when home refilling, what's so different from filling a lawnmower with petrol from a can?

penfold

Visit site
It is against the letter of the law but unless you immolate yourself and a bus full of nuns and kittens there's less chance of you suffering legal consequences than winning the lottery while identifying Jack the Ripper.

PeterBoater

Visit site
It is against the letter of the law but unless you immolate yourself and a bus full of nuns and kittens there's less chance of you suffering legal consequences than winning the lottery while identifying Jack the Ripper.
Which law? Can anybody quote any actual legislation relating to private individuals using bottles that are not subject to a rental contract? Or is it just an urban myth?

The PBO article on gas bottles etc of June 2023 (I gather due to be updated in February 2024) states of refilling: "This may be what they do overseas, but it is very DANGEROUS." This sweeping statement might or might not be true but where is the proof that it is true in terms of a documented history of accidents/incidents? Another urban myth? If there have been any accidents/incidents, are they any more prevalent in boating pro rata than filling lawnmowers?

I have never refilled a gas bottle (so far) but people making unsubstantiated statements are far from helpful.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Which law? Can anybody quote any actual legislation relating to private individuals using bottles that are not subject to a rental contract? Or is it just an urban myth?

The PBO article on gas bottles etc of June 2023 (I gather due to be updated in February 2024) states of refilling: "This may be what they do overseas, but it is very DANGEROUS." This sweeping statement might or might not be true but where is the proof that it is true in terms of a documented history of accidents/incidents? Another urban myth? If there have been any accidents/incidents, are they any more prevalent in boating pro rata than filling lawnmowers?

I have never refilled a gas bottle (so far) but people making unsubstantiated statements are far from helpful.
A few years ago I researched the question of legality. I could find no law that even mentions filling gas bottles. I did find statements from several filling station companies that prohibited it on their forecourts.

billyfish

Visit site
Well, what a can of worms. Looks like I would have trouble filling one when away , West Country, East Coast, France. Maybe go for the Deisel cooker option, if only they were a bit cheaper.

Whaup367

Visit site
A few years ago I researched the question of legality. I could find no law that even mentions filling gas bottles. I did find statements from several filling station companies that prohibited it on their forecourts.
See link above regarding the Carriage of Dangerous Goods. Also note that an act may be unlawful, even if it is not illegal (you can be prosecuted for doing something wrong, even if there isn't a specifically worded law against it). So when someone states "It's illegal to refill Calor bottles!" they are likely being loose with their language but, AIUI, they are essentially correct.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
See link above regarding the Carriage of Dangerous Goods. Also note that an act may be unlawful, even if it is not illegal (you can be prosecuted for doing something wrong, even if there isn't a specifically worded law against it). So when someone states "It's illegal to refill Calor bottles!" they are likely being loose with their language but, AIUI, they are essentially correct.
I read the link but I am not at all sure that it includes filling gas bottles on a forecourt. It is perfectly legal to fill the Gaslow bottle in my motothome, so why would it become illegal if the bottle was standing alongside my van?

Calor is a special case because we rent the bottles from them, not purchase them. They state that an individual cannot refill them but this does not apply to Camping Gaz, etc.

PeterBoater

Visit site
I too read the link and the associated legislation. As far as I can see, it only applies to Transportable Pressure Vessels "used at work" (this is an important distinction for us), only to manufacturers and distributors, and only to vessels transportable by road, rail and in some circumstances, inland waterways. In the text there is also an exemption for vessels with a mass when full below 30kg or 25kg.

In the case of Calor's 'contract', my Calor bottles came with the boat (other people have liberated them from recycling centres etc); there is no contract of which to be in breach. As Vyv points out, Calor holds no sway in respect of Campingaz bottles.

Aja

Visit site
I too read the link and the associated legislation. As far as I can see, it only applies to Transportable Pressure Vessels "used at work" (this is an important distinction for us), only to manufacturers and distributors, and only to vessels transportable by road, rail and in some circumstances, inland waterways. In the text there is also an exemption for vessels with a mass when full below 30kg or 25kg.

In the case of Calor's 'contract', my Calor bottles came with the boat (other people have liberated them from recycling centres etc); there is no contract of which to be in breach. As Vyv points out, Calor holds no sway in respect of Campingaz bottles.

Calor are expecting to have their cake and eat it. If Calor can produce a contract stating where and when my bottles were rented from them, I might get a bit interested in their 'ownership' of the bottlesthat were on my boat.

Mister E

Visit site
I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought you could legally inherent something that doesn't belong to the deceased.
That is the point, someone else rented them.
They can not be sold inherited or passed on without the consent of the owner.
The fact that the owner does not pursue this is another matter.
They are still the legal property of Calor.

Aja

Visit site
That is the point, someone else rented them.
They can not be sold inherited or passed on without the consent of the owner.
The fact that the owner does not pursue this is another matter.
They are still the legal property of Calor.
Calor can sue for them back then. But to say that I stole them is dicey as I would have no knowledge of their provenance. They were on the boat that was sold to me and I paid a fair price for. I'm not at fault for having them on the boat.