Gas piping

plombier

Visit site
Re: In over 30 years of boat ownership...

Well said Stamfordian.

And for Steve's information Transco are not our "paternal overlords". They, like all members of the "kennel club", are governed by the Gas Safety Regulations that are drawn up and overseen by the Health & Safety Executive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site

Hi Trevor - thought no one was going to bite... whoops, I mean respond. Yes I agree with regulatory intervention in instances where safety is involved - I was talking generally.

However, in some jurisdictions one is allowed to do things like ones own electrical wiring of a house, for example, but has to be inspected by a recognised inspector. That provides a disincentive for the person who does not know what it is about as they face the real risk of having to take it all out again. I suspect the main advantage a tradesman has over a knowledgable amateur is familiarity with particular installations (eg the Volvo Penta mechanic who has pulled apart umpteen Volvo engines probably knows exactly what is around the corner when faced with the next).

To get back to the thread, for gas installations on boats here there is no requirement for installations to be done by anyone in particular and there is no history of problems because of that - I cannot recall any gas explosion on a vessel here although it has probably happened sometime, more petrol fires by far. The insurers do not see it as a problem as I have not heard of any requiring an inspection of the installation or any requirement by them to have had the installation installed by a gasfitter or whoever.

While the consequences of a gas explosion on a boat are often large, it is an extremely rare event on a boat population basis. Any one of petrol fires, electrical fires and all the various navigation dangers has caused more loss of property and life than gas explosions.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

stamfordian

Visit site

Hi, in the original post the pipe work is being replaced to comply with the survey.I don,t know why iit HAS to done (apart from safty reasons) perhaps as a condition of the insurance company??.
I have no gripes about people doing there own pipework if it,,s done properly by the regs(for thier own safty),then getting it checked by a corgi trained person,which is cheaper than employing a tradesman to do the whole thing....another oppertunity for a small buiness sideline??,
Boats used on rivers these days have to have a safty certificate to obtain a liecence i believe,and this could extend in the future to all craft ,possibly instigated by insurance conpanies,but very difficult to police on older boats.
You can bet that new boat designs have to meet the regulations,the same as new air con systems have to use ozone friendly refridgerants.
All in all the whole thing makes people think of the consiquences ...a good thing all round.
off to lick me marrow/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/stamfordian>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/stamfordian</A>

MIKE_MCKIE

Visit site

I am replacing the original installation as a Survey Recommendation, (a very strong one!) due to the fact that the original looks (and probably is) about 30 years old & both the armouring on the rubber pipe, and the rubber pipe itself were rather past their sell by date. It has nothing to do with Insurance, altho no doubt they would leap in, should owt go wrong, and deny all liability!!
I merely wished to use the correct od pipe, in order to get a decent gas flow to the cooker, and eventually the heater.
The installation will follow best practice (in this instance as recommended by the excellent Calor website @ Soton), BUT as Steve Cronin says, this is the PBO website & DIY rules (at least in my book).
I must say, for an innocent question it has certainly stirred up the mud a bit!
Thanks to all for the opinions,
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site

Stirring up the mud can be theraputic as well as instructional, as long as we all remember we're all Jock Thompson's Bairns. (No one has a monopoly on sanctity).

The only point I would put forward is that it seems quite right to adhere to the recommendation of your survey and have the flexi-pipes replaced and if you or anyone else is uncertain, a CORGI qualified installation or check is wise. Having completely rewired both houses and a couple of boats and put in a gas system in my own boat I am certain I have done better work than a "professional" would have done.

For one thing, I spent a lot more time in the planning and execution of these jobs than a tradesman would.

If I had doubts about a particular part of the installation I have the luxury of time and can do it again. For the future I have the benefit of knowing the system and how to mend. I will also stray from the "rules" occasionally if I think there is a better way. For instance, I would not use armoured gas flexi-pipes at all because the sheathing can hide perishing.

Right or wrong? Probably somewhere in between.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
No problem with safety requirements dear sir.....

... just with the leeches who turn it into an easy living at the expense of the rest of us.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>