Gas Leak

cindersailor

Visit site
Fitted a gas detector close to the cabin sole under the cooker recently. Found that it often went off when I opened the adjacent cupboard door and put this down to the fact that this is where I store paint, thinners etc. and the installation leaflet says that it is sensitive to this type of vapour too. However it prayed on my mind and so I set to with the soap/painbrush on all connections. Found that one in the cockpit locker which passes through the bulkead into the gas locker was leaking. The locker is vented at high level into the cupboard as the bilge pump hose passes through the bulkhead. The leaking joint was very awkward to access as both seeing it and getting a spanner on it at arms lenght at the same time was almost impossible. However, when I did sort a way to do it I found that the union nut was loose and required at least 3/4 turn to tighten properly.

The whole systen was supposed to have been installed by a corgi qualified guy (done by previous owner) and I cannot belive that the nut loosened of its own accord. I can only conclude that because access to the union was so tricky during installation that it was not correctly tightened - a "that will do" approach - although if a leak test was done following the installation (as I assume it should be) it must have been ok at that stage. Am I glad I fitted that detector!

So if you have any joints in your system which are tricky to get at, it may be worth checking them.

Thamesbank

www.thamesbank.org.uk
My joints are fine thanks

I completely ripped out my gas system and replaced it with a short pipe directly to the cooker.
I can't recommend getting a person who's been trained by a dog to fit your gas system, even if he was a pedigree!

FAITIRA

Visit site
I would never be without a PROPER gas detector, not a "lidle cheapy", after having people we knew killed in an explosion. What price the safety of family and friends? Well done curing the problem.

FAITIRA

Visit site
Certainly not the same as mine, and yes it was a great deal dearer than one from Lidle. I have never found a lot from Lidle (loss leaders) that prove to be real bargains, i.e. crap fenders, oilies, ropes and other so called boat bits.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The whole systen was supposed to have been installed by a corgi qualified guy (done by previous owner) and I cannot belive that the nut loosened of its own accord

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds typical! I worked in a school science department for several years after retiring early and after having one of the chemistry lab's gas systems completely renewed the "dogs" that did it had to be called back because of the number of loose joints and other defects I found. Fancy finger tight unions where small boys with idle fingers could reach them!

Alfie168

Visit site
There's no excuse for poor work, particularly as the installer should have done a gas tightness test last of all. However, in an imperfect world errors/omissions occur in all lines of work..which is why its good advice to get the system tested when you buy a boat, and not wait for the bang.

Was there a receipt for the work?..you'd at least know who not to employ if you are in the same area.

I get to see domestic DIY gas work that really would put the frighteners on you...plastic hose pipes supplying cookers..flexi tap connectors supplying gas to boilers..flue outlets enclosed in conservatories..it goes on and on.

hope its OK now

Tim

Visit site
I like the fitting of an inline bubble tester (http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/marine_gas/4071_leak_tester.htm) fitted in the gas locker - directly after the regulator. Really simple - no batteries - basically push the test - and if it bubbles - you've got a leak. Ok - its an extra leak point in itself - but so long as its in the gas locker this is a pretty small risk.

I can test my gas system every time I switch the sylinder on

Not for a moment suggesting that you shouldn't fit shut off valves / gas alarms etc as applicable - but gas is one area where I think belt and braces approach is sensible along with some common sense