Gas in the Med

dgadee

Visit site
I had problems on Cost del Sol with my calor 6kg bottles. Had to get a 907. But got them filled in Cagliari (€30 a bottle). Previously A Coruna filled them. There was someone who said he could fill around Marbella but when I got there he didn’t seem contactable. In Italy now and hope filling possible next season.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I had problems on Cost del Sol with my calor 6kg bottles. Had to get a 907. But got them filled in Cagliari (€30 a bottle). Previously A Coruna filled them. There was someone who said he could fill around Marbella but when I got there he didn’t seem contactable. In Italy now and hope filling possible next season.
Italy does seem difficult for filling gas bottles. It is illegal to refill Gaslow bottles with Autogas fixed in motorhomes, unlike every other country in Europe. Free standing bottles no chance.

OldBawley

Visit site
We have a wood burning stove for heating and cooking. The stove is used most of the year with the exception of the hottest months when our normal gas hob is used to make some coffee. To hot for serious cooking in the hottest months.

Since we love cooking the wood stove is perfect for slow cooking of lam ext.

Last week we had a friend of mine over. The man is a chef, can only take free in middle winter.

Every year he visits us for a week, wherever we are at the time. He sleeps in a hotel but loves the long winter evenings cooking with local ( now Greek ) products on our boat. Each year he leaves with some ideas for the new menu in his restaurant.

Unlike us, the chef uses the gas hob a lot. Sharp browning of meat, and one heating spot is not enough for his skills so he uses both the wood stove and the two burner gas hob.

Precisely the last evening the gas bottle was empty. No big deal, we used wood.

Yesterday I remembered the empty gas bottle and wanted to change it for the spare. The spare was not at its place, I remember buying a full bottle and a meter of new gas hose some months ago, in my anger for the price of the new hose I must have completely forgotten to take the full bottle back to the boat. Demented.

I rowed on land to have the empty 907 changed for a full one. The store ( where I must have left my full spare bottle ) was empty. Bankrupt, emigrated to the states, whatever, the shop was empty.

Then I walked out of the village to the only gas station in the hope to get a full 907 there.

With a lot of body language the Albanian pump attendant made clear it would take 5 days to get a full bottle. On top of that, my old bottle was no good ( I know that trick ) so I had to pay the caution again ( 45 € ) and the price for the gas would be 15 €.

Jeeze.. Am I glad wood is abundant and for free.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Am planning on using a 13amp induction hob for shoreline cooking. The are around 50x50x5 cm, so with a thin board on the back should be stowable. Messing around with gas when docked and plugged in as a liveaboard seems a lot of trouble and expense.

DangerousBryan

Visit site
They do not refill them in Lefkas. They will do an exchange for one that they have had filled, and I don't think they are filled properly (they should be 2.7kg heavier than an empty one). The garage in Vliho will fill your own cylinder and I was charged 4 Euros each on the 3 occasions that I used them last year. In the summer they will not fill them until after 9pm due to the possibility of expansion. They told me that they would be in trouble if they did it during the day. I have also had decently filled exchanges from several places for between 7 and 10 Euros. As a side note to people reading this thread, a 907 Camping Gaz type cylinder is your own property whereas most other cylinders (Calor for example) are on a loan agreement.

[3889]

Visit site
I
They do not refill them in Lefkas. They will do an exchange for one that they have had filled, and I don't think they are filled properly (they should be 2.7kg heavier than an empty one). The garage in Vliho will fill your own cylinder and I was charged 4 Euros each on the 3 occasions that I used them last year. In the summer they will not fill them until after 9pm due to the possibility of expansion. They told me that they would be in trouble if they did it during the day. I have also had decently filled exchanges from several places for between 7 and 10 Euros. As a side note to people reading this thread, a 907 Camping Gaz type cylinder is your own property whereas most other cylinders (Calor for example) are on a loan agreement.
I vaguely recall someone exchanging an empty for a cylinder containing water. Not sure that it was Greece ,though.

OldBawley

Visit site
Not all Turks are honest. When in Marmaris, our first year, I had asked the same questions.

So into town I walked to buy a new gas filling. In the recommended shop the guy in charge told me I had the wrong kind of bottle. Mine was gray, ( Datca town ) his ware blue. He told me further east only blue was good.

So I paid for a new bottle and filling. Some weeks later I wanted a new filling. The same guy told me I had a wrong bottle. Mine was blue but without stamped in markings, his was with markings.

I explained to him he had sold me the bottle without markings after witch he spontaneous lost all English speech.

I pulled him to a corner of his shop where some filled unmarked bottles stood. His trick was clear, he sold a no good bottle to all Yabanci´s ( Foreigners ) cashing the money for an approved bottle.

In the end, he offered me 4 million lira for the bad bottle, still gaining 14 million. In those days that was two days wage for a shipwright.

Same with diesel. I was warned, knew there trick.

I like to buy diesel at a road station. Good turnover ( No water in the fuel) and cheaper as marina.

We sail , don’t use much diesel. So I heard about the trick the servants in the road station at Göcek pulled. You arrive with your jerry can, have it filled. They direct you to a pump with empty hose. The hose contains 1,5 litres. So you pay 20 litres and get 18,5 L.

That may be not much to the average yachty, to me it is stealing. So what to do : ask for filling with diesel. The thief looks at your jerry can and directs you to the pump with the empty hose. Then you present a one litre bottle to fill. Nothing unusual in Turkey with the highest fuel prices of the world and very low wages. The thief fills ( Under protest ) your one litre bottle, the gauge on the pump reeds 2,5 lt. After some words, you have your 20 l jerry can filled. This time from a full hose.

These scams happened 10 years ago, I bet It is much worse now.

BigJoe

Visit site
I would change to Camping Gaz cylinder's

1. You can get them everywhere
2. They are generally under 20 quid
3. Your not humpfing a LARGE gas bottle about, to refill it or exchange it, like folk we know
4. You can get them everywhere

Seven Spades

Visit site
The large 6kg of propane are very cheap usually cheaper than a 907. It also gives you more independence but obviously you need to refill at some point. I am amazed by the lack of support reported here. so Are all the Oysters and Amels in the med using 907’s?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Gas in small bottles is a rip-off everywhere. Unfortunately we mostly have to lie back and take it. Yesterday on a Spanish campsite I exchanged a 13 kg Repsol propane bottle for €12.80. A slight mark-up from petrol stations where it costs €11.70 but fair enough. But you cannot buy a bottle without a Spanish address and the bottle is useless anywhere else.