Gas Detectors

boomer

N/A
Visit site
Before anyone tells me to get rid of gas altogether, let me say that we have found domestic LPG a particular convienience and have had installed an (unbelievably comprehensive) above and below floor detection system. Before doing so (and perhaps we should have listened) we were warned not to do so because currently available systems are totally unreliable and prone to spurious alarms.

Last week we were awakened in the middle of the night by one of the alarms, only to find it had been set off by by a particularly rank bit of blue cheese that had been discarded in the galley waste bin.

Has anyone else experience of gas detection systems?

G

I don't trust gas alarms and have had many experiences of spurious alerts which reduce your trust in the systems. In my opinion the best course is to install a bubble tester in the gas locker. This will permit easy, regular and non-invasive testing of the system for leakage. Alde produce a unit suitable for most installations.

ParaHandy

Visit site
Squawking

Ow about cat & canary on board. Keep the moggie just this side of starvation so that the canary knows he/she is lunch and put the canary in the bilges at night (gas sinks - I think). The canary will be tweeting away all night keeping an eye on the cat, until it pops its clogs. The cat will then spring onto the canary and you'll wake up with all the racket......well, worked for coalminers.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Boomer, I've had gas detectors on a number of boats and have experienced a couple of problems. One system used to go off when you shut down the engines after a trip and I can only assume that unventilated exhaust fumes were the cause. On another boat, the alarm used to go off spuriously in our mooring; I eventually worked out that it happened around low tide. I guess the exposed mud gave off some gas
Personally, I would rather spend money on getting the installation regularly checked out by a qualified technician