Garmin unfit for purpose.

Visit site
Last September I bought a Garmin GPS 176c and a Navman fish finder which have both been positioned in a somewhat exposed position on my steering consul, but both removed when not sailing. Now the screen on the Garmin has crazed over and is almost unreadable but the Navman screen is in perfect condition.

It looks like there may be a coating on the Garmin screen that has started to degrade.

Has anyone experienced this? Should I try to polish off the rest of the coating or complain to Garmin?

<hr width=100% size=1>

SpottedBlue

Visit site
Most new screens have a protective polythene like cover stuck on to stop scratching - are you sure you removed the one on your Garmin?

<hr width=100% size=1>

capricorn

Visit site
Definately speak to Garmin.

In my experience their customer serice is legendary. When I've had cause to complain they exceeded my expectations in the manner they put things right.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
They said that, as it under a year old, they will repair or replce the unit if i send it back to them in the States. They also said that there is an anti reflective coating on the screen which can be damaged by cleaning agents and there have been no modifications to the design. As i have not used any cleaning agents on the screen this must mean that if they replace the screen it will only last me another year. Not good!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
It's not usual to have to send unit back to U.S. I don't think. go to www.yell.com and search for Garmin Europe.

In my experience Garmin's service has been superb -- one of teh few companies around that seem to bother.

In the past they have replace quite old items for customers without quibbble.

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
why the States - as already raised.
Garmin Europes HQ is
Garmin (Europe) LTD Unit 5, The Quadrangle Abbey Park Industrial Estate Romsey SO51 9AQ U.K. tel. 44 1794 519944 fax. 44 1794 519222

They have always resolved issues - and I have only had out of warrantee ones - quickly and to my advantage.

I am sure they will advise what has happed with the unit to.

<hr width=100% size=1>madesco madidum ..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: Yes try Garmin UK

I had a software problem. They wanted me to send it stateside but the pantomime chandler got them to fix it if I visited Garmin UK.

You'd weep to see the bins of returned units kicking about the place.

They had the thing exchanged in minutes. A top company.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Agree with Capricorn. Give Garmin a chance, rather than complaining here in the first instance. Their customer support is bordering on legendary, and a real example to other companies. I'd be surprised if you don't resolve it.

Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

What about Garmin UK ??

Did you buy in UK ? Garmin have UK facilities so why send to States ????? unless you bought in States ... but then again my eTrex box had a list of service agents and guarantee agents for various countries .....

<hr width=100% size=1>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/
Posts personal opinions and maybe controversial

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Robert,

Were both the units stored together or separate. Clearly the garmin has come into contact with some substance/vapour it did not like. Did you by any chance wrap it in a cloth which had come maybe accidently in contact with a solvent, such as acetone or petrol?
I have read that you can polish a compass plastic face but even with these most of the opacity is on the internal surface and the liquid itself, caused by light degredation but this takes many years.

Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>