Garmin pre-loaded charts v Navionics

eddystone

Visit site
As number and cost of essential upgrades to my new boat escalate and threaten to breach available budget, will need to economise on electronics upgrade. Thinking of going for (old model)Garmin 750 chart plotter - how do built in charts in the Garmin compare to the Navionics installed in Raymarine plotters And how do Garmin rate cost-wise for further chart modules and updates?

Pete7

Visit site
I have the smaller Garmin 555s and Raymarine C80. I much prefer the smaller Garmin and their charts which zoom in to showing our pontoon. The Garmin just seems more user friendly. Not sure the Vision G2 charts are worth the extra so have a close look at the Bluechart if its cheaper.

Had a problem updating the Garmin Vision chart in January because the micro SD card (5 years old) wasn't big enough for the latest chart and the instructions didn't explain that a larger new card needed to be entered into the Garmin first to download a file to the card, which then allows you to download the latest chart from Garmin. However, Garmin UK Support were very helpful in talking me through the process so get full marks for support.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
I think raymarine use c-map or jepperson. SH and lowrance use navionics as well as apps. It's all a matter of personal preference.

S/H Use Jeppesen, ie C-MAP
Raymarine and Lowrance use Navionics, although I believe Lowrance plotters are going C-MAP compatible IIRC.
Garmin use Bluechart (their own charting)

Just as a note to the op. The Garmin GPSMAP750 has now officially been discontinued, so don't hang about as shelf stock is likely to disappear at a fair rate due to the discounted stock being around due to the new releases.

Storyline

Visit site
..... I much prefer the smaller Garmin and their charts which zoom in to showing our pontoon. The Garmin just seems more user friendly. .....
We moved from Raymarine to Garmin when our radar expired. At first I was sceptical as the Garmin seemed a bit sort of 'dumbed down'. However, now after a few years of use, I much prefer the Garmin - so easy to use and the HD radar (again, seemed a bit simple at first) is absolutely fantastic. Also my wife finds it very easy to use (not meant to be sexist - she is a bit of a technophobe).

Had a problem updating the Garmin Vision chart in January because the micro SD card (5 years old) wasn't big enough for the latest chart and the instructions didn't explain that a larger new card needed to be entered into the Garmin first to download a file to the card, which then allows you to download the latest chart from Garmin. However, Garmin UK Support were very helpful in talking me through the process so get full marks for support.

Exactly the same thing happened to us. The original SD card that came with the plotter was 0.5 gig and the upgrade charts said 3.9 gig. We went out and got a new 4 gig card only to find the usable space was a few megs too small. Had to get an 8 gig one in the end. The only significant difference in the charts that can account for the huge increase in space was that now the tidal diamonds show the direction and speed of the tide in real time - a very nice feature.

Last edited:

eddystone

Visit site
I think with Garmin get one free upgrade then have to pay (a lot). Additional charts also seem very expensive but haven't checked others by comparison. I would do most of my passage planning at on PC or tablet at home and would want to transfer routes across to c/plotter - this is easy with Raymarine e7 but not sure if I can do this with Garmin (BTW, thought Raymarine used Navionics?)

Plevier

Visit site
Just to clarify that one, you only get the free upgrade in the first year of ownership if the pre-loaded chart isn't already up to date. You don't actually get a first update free regardless, that'd be nice! :)

I bought a 750 in April. It came with a one off update included valid for 6 months not a year. Garmin update twice a year so if you don't use it until about to expire it is definitely an update. I did it this month and the chart is different. (Garmin told me at SIBS that it was updated in August)
Of course I don't know if the chart in it was up to date when purchased. I guess in theory you should use the update immediately, maybe wasting it, but how many people will update every time anyway?

eddystone

Visit site
I bought a 750 in April. It came with a one off update included valid for 6 months not a year. Garmin update twice a year so if you don't use it until about to expire it is definitely an update. I did it this month and the chart is different. (Garmin told me at SIBS that it was updated in August)
Of course I don't know if the chart in it was up to date when purchased. I guess in theory you should use the update immediately, maybe wasting it, but how many people will update every time anyway?

So how much is a paid update? (and what area does the pre-loaded chart cover?)

uxb

Visit site
I've got a GPS 550 running whatever Garmin run and the Memory map app with their charts running on the iPad. ( along with the excellent Antaries charts) also on the iPad are the Navionics charts.

I much prefer the Memory Map/ Antaries although the lack of scrolling between charts can be a nuisance.

Plevier

Visit site

It covers UK and Ireland and roughly Brest to Elbe coast.
Paid update cost is virtually impossible to find from Garmin website! I think I've read you can update once for 50% new price which is about £225 then next time you buy a new one and so on.
Hope someone can give a more certain answer.
That's for the g2, not vision, don't think that's worth the extra.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
I bought a 750 in April. It came with a one off update included valid for 6 months not a year.

Thanks Troubador, I was actually quoting that out of my sometimes leaky memory, I should have gone and looked it up before posting really...:eek:

Just gone to find what Bluechart updating costs, had a PDF release somewhere but I deleted it back in May. Going through some of the dealer docs, it appears a card to update a *preloaded* UK & Ireland chart is £49.99 RRP - and in fact, the retail update cards all seem to be listed at this price - now, whether this is the physical card and the download then costs extra, at the moment i'm not 100% sure, If I get a moment today i'll research it a bit further and post.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Ok, direct quote from the Garmin Bluechart Catalogue:

1. New Chart Guarantee ensures that you will always be able to access the most current charts available at the time of purchase. This program entitles those who have recently purchased a new preprogrammed BlueChart g2 or BlueChart g2 Vision microSD/SD card to one FREE update to the newest version of charts. Updated charts will be for the same (or equivalent*) region as the original purchase. Limited to one free update per card. The New Chart Guarantee is valid within 6 months of purchase.

2. Discounted Update Program : You can update your existing preprogrammed BlueChart g2 and BlueChart g2 Vision microSD/SD card for a discounted price. Updated charts will be for the same (or equivalent*) region as the original purchase. One discounted update, per card, per map version. Update price depends ONLY on format, not on coverage size. (microSD/SD cards only) G2 : £49.99, G2 Vision : 94.99

3. Update and Trade-In Programmes :
• Update Program – return your old BlueChart g2 data card, and receive 50% discount for any updated g2 chart, regardless of size.
• Upgrade from Traditional to BlueChart g2 – return your Traditional BlueChart data card,
and receive a 30% discount towards any BlueChart g2 card, regardless of size.
• Upgrade to BlueChart g2 Vision - return any Traditional or g2 data card and receive a
25% discount towards any BlueChart g2 Vision card, regardless of size.
(includes Garmin data cards)

Preloaded Plotter Updates : Update the preloaded BlueChart g2 maps on your chartplotter to get the latest data available. Visit: www.garmin.com/mapupdates and enter the serial number or unit ID from your chartplotter, or insert a prepared microSD/SD card into an SD card reader connected to your computer to check for available map updates. You also can visit your local Garmin dealer to purchase the preloaded BlueChart g2 map updates. Update cards for UK & Ireland are available for the GPSMAP 450/450s, 451/451s, 550/550s, 551/551s, 555/555s, 556/556s, 557/557xS, 750/750s, 751/751xS and echoMAP 50s/70s devices.

Update Methods :

Website Download
Go to www.garmin.com/mapupdates and insert preprogrammed BlueChart g2 or BlueChart g2 Vision card to determine eligibility for a free New Chart Guarantee or discounted update.

Outlet Programmer Dealers
Selected Garmin Dealers have the ability to provide this BlueChart g2 or g2 Vision update service to customers.
Retail Gift Card BlueChart g2 Update and g2 Vision Update Retail Gift Cards are available in selected Garmin Dealers. These easy to redeem scratch cards provide access to download an update for existing BlueChart g2 or g2 Vision microSD/SD preprogrammed cards. Please contact your local chandlery to enquire or visit www.garmin.com

johnphilip

Visit site
Earlier this year I updated the chart in my Garmin 750 for free, this was a first update although the unit was about three years old, Garmin web site actually allows more than than Garmin advisors tell you. To have updated otherwise the standard charge is £50. The built in chart is called GB and Ireland but includes the continent including Channel islands through to North Holland but see their site for definitive lines. The site looks different from when I did mine but I assume it is still similar coverage.

Plevier

Visit site
Ok, direct quote from the Garmin Bluechart Catalogue:

1. New Chart Guarantee ensures that you will always be able to access the most current charts available at the time of purchase. This program entitles those who have recently purchased a new preprogrammed BlueChart g2 or BlueChart g2 Vision microSD/SD card to one FREE update to the newest version of charts. Updated charts will be for the same (or equivalent*) region as the original purchase. Limited to one free update per card. The New Chart Guarantee is valid within 6 months of purchase.

2. Discounted Update Program : You can update your existing preprogrammed BlueChart g2 and BlueChart g2 Vision microSD/SD card for a discounted price. Updated charts will be for the same (or equivalent*) region as the original purchase. One discounted update, per card, per map version. Update price depends ONLY on format, not on coverage size. (microSD/SD cards only) G2 : £49.99, G2 Vision : 94.99
[/url]

Fishy, thanks for clarifying, I couldn't find that.

So does it mean I can update my 750 once in the future for £49.99 but then next time I have to buy a new full price chart - or was my free update the only one allowed? If I want to update in a year or two, will I have to pay full price?

In fact, reading it again, it only mentions the £49.99 for pre-programmed SD cards. Does it apply to pre-loaded plotters at all?

Garmin - Masters of Obscurity!!

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Hi Troubador,

We haven't actually done any of these update, reprogram or anything cards just yet, so I have no practical experience - But the way I'm reading it, you can use option (1) and get a free update in the first 6months after purchase to ensure you have the updated chart. You can then use option (2) to get a discounted update for £49.99 once per card (and possibly plotter for the preloaded - i'm not 100% on this) After that you're into option (3) to trade in a card for a 50% discount on a new chart - but obviously you can't do this with a preload.

I'll see if I can find out what the Scratchcard update cards cost, and post if I can (Yes, although Garmin are fantastic in some respects, when they decide to be obscure about information, they go the whole hog!) :D

eddystone

Visit site
Unless there is some significant shortcoming in the Garmin Blue charts, does look better option for tight budgets as Garmin 750 (£600) comes with EU 706L which looks about same as Navionics UK+Netherlands. Raymarine E7 plus Navionics Gold Card is going to be roughly twice the cost at £1200. Does Garmin blue have anything like Navionics Freshest Data facility?

Only other consideration is whether Garmin will talk to Autohelm tiller pilot through NMEA2000 in the event existing and fairly old one packed up?

Any views on B&G Zeus 7" which seems recent addition to market - cheaper than e7 and takes same Navionics charts?