Garmin Network Cable

Jon magowan

Visit site
Hello,
I have a new Garmin Chartplotter. I want to connect it to another Garmin device (GHC 50), in order to update the device software. I’m told, by Garmin, that I need to create a Garmin network to do this.
The sockets on both Garmin devices (Chartplotter and GHC 50) look like regular Ethernet sockets.
Is there are reason why I can’t use a regular Ethernet cable instead of the expensive Garmin version ?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hello,
I have a new Garmin Chartplotter. I want to connect it to another Garmin device (GHC 50), in order to update the device software. I’m told, by Garmin, that I need to create a Garmin network to do this.
The sockets on both Garmin devices (Chartplotter and GHC 50) look like regular Ethernet sockets.
Is there are reason why I can’t use a regular Ethernet cable instead of the expensive Garmin version ?
Many thanks.

Do you not have a NMEA2000 network ? If not, it's well worth having so the plotter and auto pilot talk to each other and your updates can be done over N2K.

EDIT: I forget, the GHC50 cannot be updated by N2K

Last edited:
Reactions: vas

Jon magowan

Visit site
Thanks Paul,
Yes I do have a NMEA 2000 network and it works very well. However, my new GHC 50 needs a software update and the only way I can do it, according to Garmin, is via a Garmin network. As I understand it, the only way I can do that is to use these Ethernet connections.
I don’t plan to leave the Garmin network in place, it’s just to update the GHC. I was able to update other devices via an SD card in my old, legacy Chartplotter. But the GHC needs a Garmin network unfortunately.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks Paul,
Yes I do have a NMEA 2000 network and it works very well. However, my new GHC 50 needs a software update and the only way I can do it, according to Garmin, is via a Garmin network. As I understand it, the only way I can do that is to use these Ethernet connections.
I don’t plan to leave the Garmin network in place, it’s just to update the GHC. I was able to update other devices via an SD card in my old, legacy Chartplotter. But the GHC needs a Garmin network unfortunately.
Hi Jon. The update pages are a bit confusing/misleading, as the updates for the GHC50 are included in the SD card download. Bur you are correct the GHC50 does need the Garmin Marine Network connection to do the updates, either by using Garmin Express, Active Captain or the network cable. Bit of a backward step, IMO. You have to have the N2K network to interconnect the AP components, but you then have to have the Garmin Marine Network for the updates, mad.

All you need though for the updates is a single network cable, this is listed as being included with the GCH50.

Updates are regularly released, so it would be worth leaving the cable in place. Which version of software do you currently have installed on the GHC50 ?

Last edited:

Jon magowan

Visit site
Thanks Paul,
You’re obviously a Garmin expert !
I’m in the process of upgrading all my electronics. Had the autopilot upgraded recently, so it’s brand new but the GHC 50 is at software 28.10, which is quite out of date.
I have literally just bought a GPSMAP 723. I managed to update everything else using an SD card in the old GPSMAP 750. Anyway, I’ll update the GHC once I get hold of the correct cable (it didn’t come with the GHC), via the new Chartplotter and ActivevCaptain. I just figured I could save a few quid by using a regular Ethernet cable. Considering how much I’ve spent on all this, another few quid for a cable is neither here nor there I suppose !
Thanks for your input.
Jon

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks Paul,
You’re obviously a Garmin expert !
I’m in the process of upgrading all my electronics. Had the autopilot upgraded recently, so it’s brand new but the GHC 50 is at software 28.10, which is quite out of date.
I have literally just bought a GPSMAP 723. I managed to update everything else using an SD card in the old GPSMAP 750. Anyway, I’ll update the GHC once I get hold of the correct cable (it didn’t come with the GHC), via the new Chartplotter and ActivevCaptain. I just figured I could save a few quid by using a regular Ethernet cable. Considering how much I’ve spent on all this, another few quid for a cable is neither here nor there I suppose !
Thanks for your input.
Jon
The GHC 50 should come with the adapter cable, it does not have the Ethernet style connector, but a round "Garmin Bluenet" connector.

tillergirl

Visit site
The latest ONWA have OneNet now which has Ethernet connections. If I was connecting more than two devices I would need a Router. But one to one I just connect via a standard ethernet cable.

lustyd

Visit site
Switch, not router. A router routes traffic to other networks such as the Internet and may also optionally include a switch to provide multiple ports.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The latest ONWA have OneNet now which has Ethernet connections. If I was connecting more than two devices I would need a Router. But one to one I just connect via a standard ethernet cable.
I have, in the past, used standard Ethernet cables and switches with Garmin and Raymarine products, but some equipment now uses PoE, it's risky to use standard cables now. Damage can be done to the internal Ethernet board, which will stop the plotter from booting, it then needs to be replaced.

Also, Garmin and Raymarine are moving away from RJ45 style connectors, using smaller, round connectors. These can make cable routing a little easier.

oldgit

Visit site
Have used a ordinary bog standard cable to interconnect a couple of really ancient "Legacy" :) Garmin items .
Buying a "proper" cable would probably have exceeded to value of the rest of the system.
This was in secure dry compartment and not exposed to damp .
It did actually work .

Keith-i

Visit site
I’ve used a standard Ethernet cable between Garmin units without any problems. Unless the latest plotters say they are not backwards compatible with older Garmins that use Ethernet style connections then I can’t see there would be any risk PoE or otherwise.

lustyd

Visit site
Standard Ethernet cables will be fine for PoE, it's what we use in offices for this purpose! The length of run on a boat will likely mean Cat5E would be fine but if worried then a Cat7 could be used with thicker cores (you'd have to check the spec). I'd be surprised if anything on a boat is drawing enough power to need the bigger cores though, and I've yet to see an OEM cable that was any thicker than Cat5 cores - even Starlink is thin core and that draws quite a bit of power for the heater!

Not that I'm recommending it. Agree with Paul that original cables are going to be more reliable and in the grand scheme the cost of a cable isn't huge. The proprietary switches though are obscenely priced and I suspect are the reason many of us chose standard stuff.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If it’s RJ45 at both ends, then any Ethernet cable will work, PoE is a part of the spec. Cat 6 or more has thicker cores, but are less flexible. The genuine Garmin cables have seals built on to the terminations, a rubber cup essentially. Garmin specify that the warranty is invalidated if you don’t use them, for that reason I daresay. If the environment is dry, and the gear is out of warranty, I wouldn’t give that a second thought.

lustyd

Visit site
Cat 6 or more has thicker cores
Can have, but not always so check the spec of both cable and connector as most widely available cable reels are thin and most widely available connectors are thick which leads to bad crimps. I've no idea how we ended up with the mismatch, but I still use Cat5 shielded connectors with Cat6 and above cable as a result.

I think in terms of seals it depends where the unit is mounted. Those mounted bare externally I'd certainly use genuine cables, but in an enclosure or below decks I'd take my chances

PaulRainbow

Visit site
"Any old cable" might work, might not. Plenty of cheap and nasty cables on Ebay etc. How about if someone accidentally uses a crossover cable.

A 2m Garmin cable, old style RJ45, costs just over £20, why take a risk ?

All of the other replies about are ignoring the fact that the OP needs an adapter cable because his GHC50 uses non RJ45 connectors.

As for no chance of doing any harm, i fitted a new plotter just last week, that was rendered un-bootable after being connected to a similar plotter using an off the shelf RJ45 cable. The plotter cost over £2K, the correct cable would have cost £22

lustyd

Visit site
Crossover cables are perfectly fine. Switches all support them and direct device connection originally used them anyway. Ethernet is a standard, we’re not talking some proprietary thing here and some of us do know an awful lot about the subject.
I do agree that in many cases the proprietary cable is the better option, but let’s cut the superstitious stuff about Ethernet. The only non standard implementation I’m aware of is Starlink and that’s well documented by Starlink as to what they changed and why, but even with 48V in their cable it still doesn’t cause damage if you get it wrong.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
"Any old cable" might work, might not. Plenty of cheap and nasty cables on Ebay etc. How about if someone accidentally uses a crossover cable.

A 2m Garmin cable, old style RJ45, costs just over £20, why take a risk ?

All of the other replies about are ignoring the fact that the OP needs an adapter cable because his GHC50 uses non RJ45 connectors.

As for no chance of doing any harm, i fitted a new plotter just last week, that was rendered un-bootable after being connected to a similar plotter using an off the shelf RJ45 cable. The plotter cost over £2K, the correct cable would have cost £22
If the kit was new-ish I’d agree. But the only difference with a Garmin cable is the seal. I used to make a lot of my own cables, as well as buying them, by the thousand, in various lengths. There’s no black magic, cables that cost £1 will still achieve 1000mbit/sec.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If the kit was new-ish I’d agree. But the only difference with a Garmin cable is the seal. I used to make a lot of my own cables, as well as buying them, by the thousand, in various lengths. There’s no black magic, cables that cost £1 will still achieve 1000mbit/sec.
The OPs kit is all brand new, probably cost £2k plus, why risk it for the sake of a £22 cable ?

Besides, you still miss the point, he cannot use a RJ45 cable anyway.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
He says they are both RJ45. There is no risk, none at all, apart from water ingress.
Do you know what connections he has ?

There is a risk, not all cables are appropriately made. As i said earlier, i just replaced a 12" plotter, rendered useless by using a non-genuine cable. Maybe it was just a shit cable, i don't know, but i do know that a 12" plotter had to be replaced as a result of using it.