Garmin baud rate resistor

SparkUK

Visit site
Anyone know what value the Garmin baud rate resistor is for a GPS antenna? It's normally an orange wire with a piece of black heatshrink in the middle, it's to drop the comm speed from 38400 to 4800 which suits most plotters.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Unfortunately not and I can't find the info anywhere. Merely "the resistor" and as you say fitted to the orange wire which I believe runs to ground.

Are you in the situation of not having one so you can't remove the heat shrink and read off the details ?

Would Garmin technical support be able to help out or even supply one? I can't imagine they would be obscene price-wise.

Henry :)

SparkUK

Visit site
I was contemplating buying a later Garmin GPS but its native baud rate is 38400 without the resistor and as it's an 'open box' as new antenna there is no resistor with it. As you say a Garmin one is probably half a limb for 0.04p resistor. I'll have a think, I guess it'll 100 or 160 ohm and it wouldn't be difficult to try a few.

kway48

Visit site
I was contemplating buying a later Garmin GPS but its native baud rate is 38400 without the resistor and as it's an 'open box' as new antenna there is no resistor with it. As you say a Garmin one is probably half a limb for 0.04p resistor. I'll have a think, I guess it'll 100 or 160 ohm and it wouldn't be difficult to try a few.

Were you able to determine what resistance works? I can confirm its not 10k - but thats the only resistor I have on board.