Garmin 451- any good?

Kelpie

Visit site
Looking at getting a Garmin 451 plotter, for reasons of space and budget. It has free charts preloaded covering the UK and Ireland, and I'm wondering if they are actually any good?
The other option would be the SH180 with the deal on a C-Map card which would cost a bit mroe and probably take up too much bulkhead space.

Pete7

Visit site
Rob, we have the slightly larger 5 series. Superb bits of kit, and easy to connect AIS to it if you want. Menu easy to find your way around. Automatically dims for night time use which I only realised when it suddenly got brighter as dawn approached.

We have added the Vision 2 chart but it wasn't really essential as the standard chart shows down to our pontoon level anyway.

One of my better purchases.

Pete

dingdongs

Visit site
in the end its all down to how much your willing to spend.me personally also have the 5 series which is 1" larger screen which as my eyes are not the best a little easier to view.mines in an open bowrider and viewable in direct sunlight and not afraid to wash it down with the hosepipe at the end of the day.as previously stated the s version can have sonar connected either via transom mount about £50 or the thru hull mount £80 which i fitted and whatever you choose you'll be happy.i know its a big investment but worth every penny.g2 vision charts can be added too so if you go elsewhere in the world you can get quality chartwork there too.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Looking at getting a Garmin 451 plotter, for reasons of space and budget. It has free charts preloaded covering the UK and Ireland, and I'm wondering if they are actually any good?
The other option would be the SH180 with the deal on a C-Map card which would cost a bit mroe and probably take up too much bulkhead space.

Brilliant piece of kit.

- W