Garmin 4008 WiFi adapter

Mr Googler

Visit site

vas

Visit site
I'd be very impressed if it does anything tbh.

look, just because you were lucky with the bike tyre pressure thing, it doesn't mean whatever you imagine's going to work :p

I had a gpsmap751 with wifi embedded. Did use it for a couple of days having the 751 on the lower helm and not even tachos on the upper helm with my android phone. tbh was a disaster as phone getting in screen save mode and then you had to press a few buttons to reconnect and see the 751 screen.
Same with wife's ipad thing.
plus down here under the sun you don't have much luck looking at them.

dunno good luck, at least you didn't pay much again :)

cheers

V.

jrudge

Visit site
I did the WiFi adapter and probably have it in a box somewhere. I have just moved house ( well out of one and not into the other) but can look in a few weeks.

I looked at the time and other ones would not work. Software I assume.

Consider why you want it. I had it and it really did nothing and you phone is then connected to the WiFi which has no internet so your phone does not work.

Your plotter May support something cool and the apps may have developed but make sure it is worthwhile before bothering.

If I can find mine you are welcome to it for a huge discount on list.

Mr Googler

Visit site
That would be awesome J! Thanks very much.

I just want to be able to transfer routes planned at home really.

I take you’re point Vas....my luck is due to run out :)

Spare Thyme

Visit site
I have the Garmin WiFi with 4008, its very basic, dose not transmit the charts or instruments, all you can do is upload / download routes from the BlueChart app (that is apparently now discontinued https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/114005). You can tweak your passage in real time however the cost of Garmin BlueChart app probably means it’s cheaper to buy a 751 and add an extra display. I have tried with Garmin helm but no joy,

Mr Googler

Visit site
I have the Garmin WiFi with 4008, its very basic, dose not transmit the charts or instruments, all you can do is upload / download routes from the BlueChart app (that is apparently now discontinued https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/114005). You can tweak your passage in real time however the cost of Garmin BlueChart app probably means it’s cheaper to buy a 751 and add an extra display. I have tried with Garmin helm but no joy,

I think the new active captain app works with it. You can register you existing charts apparently.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-activecaptain/id1116089313?mt=8

Give it a go maybe and let me know if it works :)

Spare Thyme

Visit site
First question....can all poe’s Run off 12v. The eBay ones look like 240v?

I will have a close look at my one at the weekend, the eBay one looks identical and I am sure the label on theGarmin one is 10 - 30V dc, it was a few years back when I bought my one, I did research the standard Poe, but seem to remember you have to frig the IP address of the Poe to work on Garmin network, not impossible and if you search Garmin Poe there probably a YouTube on how to do it.

Keith-i

Visit site
I have connected to my 5008 with a household router before now (boat was in garden so power source not a problem). It is all down to using the right IP range and subnet. A chap called Pat McQueen detailed lots of info from his sniffing of packets. Patmcqueen.com

Mr Googler

Visit site
I have connected to my 5008 with a household router before now (boat was in garden so power source not a problem). It is all down to using the right IP range and subnet. A chap called Pat McQueen detailed lots of info from his sniffing of packets. Patmcqueen.com

Thanks Keith

jrudge

Visit site
Sounds good. Having read it he seems to say he just liked the pico.

The filtering is required I think based on my research years ago as all the radar data chart data etc runs over the network and if not filtered it will kill the wireless network

vas

Visit site
does all that mean that with a "beefy" system you could possibly have the radar data going to a PC running OpenCPN and have a quasi-backup system?

vas

Visit site
There is no doubt you are the man for the job!

yes, I'll add it in my todo list for retirement (in 12yrs :D )

probably someone else will have done that by then (if not by now)

spent half day yesterday on the boat sorting a NMEA2000 bus conflict between my black boxes and some Garmin kit and a Maretron display and tuning some ECU-> N2K data.
6h solidly just debugging, but at least it's now sorted!

cheers

V.