Galvanised, embedded pin D shackle source

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am looking for an embedded pin, D-shackle that is galvanised rather than stainless steel to replace the increasingly rusty galvanised one that connects my anchor to my 10mm galvanised chain. Does anybody by any chance know a supplier for these?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Why the insistence on galvanised? In general, stainless ones are stronger, especially if you buy the special ones such as Wichard. Corrosion is not an issue on and anchore rode, it is not in the water enough. I have a Wichard 17/4 PH shackle between my anchor and chain, it has been there for more than ten years, anchoring 100-150 nights per year. The only galvanic effect is that some zinc has been lost from about three links of chain adjacent to the shackle, but not enough to cause rusting.

See my website under Anchoring for test results of shackles and connectors.

NormanS

Visit site
I don't know about a source of the shackles, but I would say you are quite right to use galvanised, (but at least one size up from the size of your chain).

The only time that I innocently used a stainless shackle, was as part of the connection of a "Chum" onto the anchor chain. The boat was then left at anchor for a month, and by then the galvanising on the 3 or 4 adjacent links had completely gone. Why introduce dissimilar metals, when it is entirely unnecessary?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I don't know about a source of the shackles, but I would say you are quite right to use galvanised, (but at least one size up from the size of your chain).

The only time that I innocently used a stainless shackle, was as part of the connection of a "Chum" onto the anchor chain. The boat was then left at anchor for a month, and by then the galvanising on the 3 or 4 adjacent links had completely gone. Why introduce dissimilar metals, when it is entirely unnecessary?

Sounds more like a mooring than a typical anchor use. I would not recommend such a mixture of metals on a mooring without an anode but perfectly acceptable for normal anchoring.

noelex

Visit site
I don't know if this solves your problem but I drill a small hole in my galvanised shackle (for the mousing wire) and then cut most of the head of the pin off as shown. Smooth the edges with a file after the cut and a dab of paint does not hurt (these steps had not been done when the phot was taken).

There is still enough to undo the shackle with pliers, but it it smooth enough to reduce the risk of it catching on anything as the anchor is raised.

While you can get dedicated shackles with flush pins (try Green pin and Crosby), but they are not available in high tensile (G8) shackles.

The G8 shackles are necessary for my G7 chain, but particularly when considering the somewhat unknown effects of side loading they are worth considering for most installations. Given the low cost of the shackle compared to the rest of the anchoring system (and the boat!) a bit of overkill in this area is not a bad thing.

image.jpg1_zpsc9sbdg3a.jpg

Last edited:

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am surprised that galvanised versions aren't available and as an alternative was considering a galvanised, non-swivel anchor connector instead though they are pricey. I am told they are actually stronger than a shackle but just wonder about the implications of sideways loading. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I am surprised that galvanised versions aren't available and as an alternative was considering a galvanised, non-swivel anchor connector instead though they are pricey. I am told they are actually stronger than a shackle but just wonder about the implications of sideways loading. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

The two I tested of that type were both stronger than the chain. SWL was 850 kg in sideways loading. All the results on the website.

NormanS

Visit site
Replace the pin with an ordinary bolt
If you wish take the thread right through and fit a lock nut to prevent it coming undone

I used to do that for my mooring, and indeed as well as a locknut, I drilled the bolt for a split pin as well. Me, I'm a belt and braces man.:D

However, I suspect that the OP wants a shackle that doesn't have either a pin or a nut sticking out, so that it doesn't catch on the cheeks of his bow roller.

Ian_Rob

Visit site