Galvanic isolators

jimmynoboat

Visit site
I hear these are worth having if you spend a lot of time hooked up to shore power in a marina. I have also been told they're more effective than anodes and even that anodes are not really needed on GRP or wooden boats.

Does anyone have one? Are they easy to fit? Worth the money?

Skysail

Visit site
Mine was fitted from new, but I understand they are easy to fit.

Yes its worth having one; for £80 or so, it might save the cost of a lift out and they reduce anode erosion.

But they do not do away with the need for anodes.

FullCircle

Visit site
Mine was fitted from new, but I understand they are easy to fit.

Yes its worth having one; for £80 or so, it might save the cost of a lift out and they reduce anode erosion.

But they do not do away with the need for anodes.

Yep, I am with that assessment.

Check if you need 16,32 or 50 amp, there is a price difference.

VicS

Visit site
anodes are not really needed on GRP or wooden boats.
Anodes are commonly fitted to GRP boats to protect under water metal fittings from corrosion. They must be located near the items to be protected and electrically bonded to them.
They are essential on metal hulls to protect the hull.

There are problems with wooden boats being fitted with anodes.

If your shore power installation is connected as it should be, with the earth connected to the DC negative and the boat's earthing system, a Galvanic isolator can prevent excessive corrosion rate of anodes and possibly other under water fittings while the shorepower is connected ( not necessarily in use )

Some worthwhile reading on cathodic protection using sacrificial anodes on MG Duffs website http://www.mgduff.co.uk/

Last edited:

hanimoria

N/A
Visit site
Livea

SSteel besides the cost is not as strong only stains less than carbon steel> Hard to work with won't bend well> And has a lot of nickle in it>And with out zincs underwater will deteriorate fast>,

jimmynoboat

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Always good to check such claims out on this forum. I think I'll be renewing the anodes AND fitting an isolator, although I'm not sure the boat hasn't got one already? details just say 'shore power'. I'll make a point of finding out this week.