Gaff rig for solo sailors

Daydream believer

Visit site
. I've thought about using carbon fibre or aluminium for a gaff, but bamboo is a very interesting thought!
If you use bamboo remember to remove the curtains first, as SWMBO might notice if they go missing. :oops:
Regarding carbon fibre a link has been suggested for a sailboard mast. I have had several for my boards & I find that if they get a point impact, they can suffer damage very easily. Personally I would go for a normal GRP one, as they may be heavier but less prone to damage. That assumes such a spar is any good , of course.
But if you do go down the carbon route perhaps a repaired dinghy mast would be good because you could fit the sail into the sail groove. They are also more sturdy. Dinghy racers tend not to like repaired masts so much & you may get a broken one & have it repaired by someone like Ovington, or G Eeles at Brightingsea etc.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Sailing a small classic cruising gaffer solo at 70 years old (me not the boat, which is much older), is becoming a problem. Does anybody have experience of either lighter spars or leading halyards back to the cockpit or both to lessen the chances of me suffering a hernia or going overboard?
Sorry I am a bit late in replying. I sail my 23' gaffe cutter solo, and I am similar age to you, and agree with some of the other postings: roller reefing on the staysail, roller furling on the jib, ball bearing blocks on main peak/throat/sheet, swap the gaff spar for a windsurfer mast. Don't go too far in lightening the gaff as the weight of it helps when lowering. Don't lighten the boom as the weight of that plays a part in the set of the main. I rely on decent inboard jackstays and a harness to stay on board and keep all halyards at the mast. Running lines aft to the cockpit on a gaffer will add more friction and more chance of tangles and trips - unless you run them ALL back (throat, peak, topping, reefing lines......) you may as well keep them all together at the mast.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk