Furlers

wstokes

Visit site
What are the advantages/disadvantages between a furler that uses a jib halyard and a furler that has it's own built in halyard (or provision for it's own halyard) I have used a CDI system on my Rival 32 for the last six years. I now have to replace it as it totally worned out and the drum is damaged. I have been told that furlers that have provision for it's own halyard tend to put excessive load on the forestay versus furlers that use the jib halyard which supposely takes half the load on the forestay on the halyard. My experience with the CDI unit has been excellent.

pappaecho

Visit site
I had a Plastimo furler, which had a "cranked shackle " at the top bearing cotton reel and which often would undo itself for no particular reason.
I have also have a Colnbrook type which proved excellent, and has its own halyard, which proved much easier to change sail, when we blew out the genoa last summer... As much as anything, the quality of the engineering is more important, and the fact that some "bearings" get clogged with salt, whilst others seem either to be sealed, or are washable so you can flush away salt deposits.

kandoma

Visit site
luff tension. With a jib halyard, you have the same setup as a normal hank on sail. The more you pull, the more you compress the mast. With the halyard inside the roller reefing, you compress the rollerreefing aluminium tube.

Peter

wstokes

Visit site
Thanks for the information, I have ordered an ALADO Furling system to replace my old CDI unit. It has provision for two halyards. Based on what I have seen so far, this furling system is affordable and of a very high quality. I am very impressed with how the foil system works, no links. Here is there web page: http://www.alado.com/welcome.html