Fun or a lesson learned

cynthia

Visit site
Ah, but don't forget the glitch in our software that made the little ship on screen jump several miles in one nano second. Still no-one has the answer to that one, including Raytheon. Love all the toys and gizmos, but the lesson learned is always back it up on a paper chart!!

G

In the course of examining candidates for the RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster tickets I often see a very high standard of ability in the traditional navigation skills, and the fact that so many people volunteer to put themselves through what are very demanding tests is, in my view, an excellent indicator of prudence and good judgement amongst people wishing to better their skills and knowledge. Clearly what is at issue here in this Forum is the matter of what constitutes good seamanship. This is easy to decide in hindsight (what isn't). Fun or lesson learned? Judging by the fact that it got posted here - Both! I would envy such a passage as described, with not much more to do than watch the miles click up and satisfy ones stomach. We all have a different idea about what constitutes good seamanship, and I wouldn't be so bold as to venture an uniformed (because I wasn't there) opinion on this example. Fundamentally its all about having a little humilty, in admitting that we can be fallible and so a little thinkning ahead is a good idea. A thought process that begins: "What will I do if my electrics fail" will prompt different answers from different people even in the same circumstances. One contributer to this forum would whip out is 2 spare, battery driven GPSs and say "Ha! There you are you see - I'm ready for anything". And so he may be, until perhaps he realises later in the voyage that he's alone on board and the anchor windlass doesn't work any more, and neither do his navigation lights, and his hand-held VHF uses different batteries to his GPSs etc, etc. But if he's the type to carry 4 GPSs, then he's probably done a lot of thinking ahead regarding other items of equipment (how many gas cylinders in your lifejacket?). Like the issue of seamanship, "fun" means different things to different people. The accuracy and benefits of GPS are fantastic and can enhance the fun of sailing when navigational challenge itself is not the fun being sought. I regard having fun as something of a right. But in a given situation, whether seamship, and therefore safety (including that of others) is being eroded in the pursuit of that fun, is a very subjective issue. Let's not leave it to a Coroner to decide!

In my experience the vast majority of those who go to sea for pleasure respect it and the elements. At worst they get a fright occasionally, but most enjoy many years of safe, happy sailing. Thankfully in this over-regulated world, at least in the UK we are relatively free to do our boating in any way we choose (not forgetting some essential Rules of course). What people must realise is that every incident that is caused even in part by ignorance or poor seamanship builds up the stock of ammunition for those who strive to tighten the regulatory machine. It is, therefore, in all our interests where possible to encourage and assist those who have less knowledge and experience than ourselves. However, one might be forgiven for thinking that some people are beyond help! How's this for an example: Overheard on the VHF, a call between a bareboat charter yacht and home base.

Yacht: - "Mayday, mayday, Help me! Help me! I'm in a vortex, I'm in a vortex, help! Somebody come and save me!"

Home Base: - " .... what do you mean ' in a vortex?'"

Yacht: - "We're going round and round in circles and the sails are crashing to and fro, and I can'tstop it ... Please, just come and save us"!

After a pause ...

Home Base: - " ... Yacht *****, is your anchor still down"?

Yacht: - " ... Er, thank you Home Base. Yacht ***** out"!