Fuel Tank sender

Petercatterall

Visit site
Fuel gauge has never worked so I decided to have a look.
There was no arm on the sender unit so I guess that was the main problem!!
Bought a new arm and it works.... but the wrong way round....easy I thought just reverse the wiring....no go.
I tested it with the unit out of the tank, it is definatly working but the wrong way round. I could live with this but I'm sure that there is a wise soul who can advise on this.... you havnt let me down yet!!

Whilst I have (I hope) an audience can anyone help explain the fuel pump between my two tanks (one on the side and one central) The tanks are linked at their bottoms so will normally balance out the levels unless I stop fuel flowing from the side tank with the valve. The central tank is the one which feeds the engine.
The two tanks are also linked by a pipe which passes through a pump and a filter.
The pump is currently not working but I am interested to find out how the system would be used. Obviously one tank can be filled (and one emptied) which way round would this be? the filter is between the pump and the side tank does this give a clue?? I can see that tank cleaning would be aided and possibly boat balance. Any ideas? is it worth replacing the pump?

Thanks ( in anticipation!!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

42_South

Visit site
For the first problem, are you sure that you have correctly assembled the sender gauge?

When first installed, our sender was recording empty when full, and vice-versa. Changing polarity of connections did not help. After much frustration (and even contacting the manufacturer who was no help) I realised that the internal sender unit was installed upside down - reversing this arm 180 degrees solved the problem!

You will probably note in the instructions that they will advise you where to locate the sender pivoting arm in terms of height from the top of the tank, but it does not mention this little trap - it appears to be the wrong way around but it is not and may have come packaged like that when bought...... best of luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Petercatterall

Visit site
Thanks for the response. I'm just trying to picture the unit! the sender was assembled but I guess that I could take the arm off and mount it on the vertical bit the other way up thus acheiving 180 degree rotation. Ah well cover off again I suppose!! I hade considered repainting the gauge and changing F for E but I guess that thats the lazy way!! Will try your suggestion. Thanks again.

<hr width=100% size=1>