Fuel Protest on the Medway this Sunday?

Cantata

Visit site
Medway Ports have issued a NtM regarding a possible fuel-duty protest this Sunday, apparently off Garrison Point. Wording of the notice suggests that there might be an attempt to blockade the river entrance. Anyone know any more?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Not a great fan of the idea myself....

The media will just claim (incorrectly) that its a load of rich folk asking for special treatment....

Even this morning, the BBC reported on 'billionaire' yacht owners (see, not even millionaire is good enough anymore) needing crew desperately, while pointing at a 40' boat........ the public will merely see a story about cheap fuel for boaters, while they have to stick expensive fuel in their cars, and will have no sympathy whatsoever.... if anything it will have the opposite effect to that intended.

Gin

Visit site
Ignoring the reason why this is proposed for the moment, I reckon this protest or at least the location of it is a very bad idea.

To gather a flotilla of small craft in the bottleneck of the Medway estuary, knowing full well that ocean going ships and other commercial vessels frequently use it is asking for trouble or worse.

Whatever those who participate may say publicly, they must know that a mass of small craft stands a very good chance of unavoidably causing an obstruction, and since the incoming commercials will have right of way,(constrained by draught etc.) they will thus be guilty of causing an unlawful obstruction.

In the event of a collision will those who are deemed legally responsible not then be vulnerable to legal redress from the shipowners? This is the very least risk, and actually there could be risk to life too which, in my opinion, is unforgiveable of the organisers, who I'm sure will make damned sure they are not in the line of fire for such claims

bastonjock

Visit site
well presented neil,i have no problems with regard to the removal of the tax concession for boats,J Public who is struggling to find the money to fill the tank up in his ford focus at 1.25 a liter will have nothing but hatred for boaters.

The guys who are protesting are excercising their democratic right,unless there is some ancient piracy law preventing them from doing it.

People on other forums are expecting a sympathetic responce to having to fork out 4 grand to fill their tanks up in their 1.75 mill sunseeker are taking the michael

If you cant afford to run your boat at 1.25 a liter then get a yacht and learn to sail

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Agree with sentiments.

Also whilst the cost per ltr goes up how much extra does it mean the average boater is going to spend? Looking at some marinas you would think that some boats never leave their mooring so the annual cost of fuel is £0! It might make second hand mobos cheaper I suppose.

BTW Brasso of this parish has confessed to me that he has gone across to the dark side now. Bought a Shetland 526 (I think).

Sixpence

Visit site
Yep, I'm sorry to say that the loss of red to liesure boaters isn't something many non boaters are going to be bothered by. Maybe if they protested against the price at the pumps for the motorist they might get somewhere, but I doubt it. Think maybe it's time for 99 change boat for some.

FullCircle

Visit site
I use about 200 litres a year if I motor a lot. Adds about 120 quid to my sailing year.
As a percentage of my total spend, peanuts I am afraid.

But it does mean that I can get a better deal from Tescos filling up at the forecourst in 25l jerry cans, rather than the usurious rates the Marinas will undoubtedly apply. I won't do it of course, but I am comforted that there is a potential benefit, if I could be arsed to do it.

Cantata

Visit site
I agree with the sentiments expressed about the duty so far as we leisure types are concerned.
The point of my post about the protest (which I think will be by fishermen) was that the Medway entrance might be impassable.
I've talked to Medway Ports now and they think there won't be a blockade, just a gathering of folk wanting to make a point. Not Cherbourg then, thank goodness.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
I think what most mobo owners like myself don't like is that we are paying road tax but the money is not going to be spent on our roads, whether we sail motor or paddle. Now if they spent the extra on the waterways then that would be a different matter.