fuel filters

G

can you by volvo fuel filters from motor factors rather than volvo marine .I need cummins 105 filters i will probaly need to buy in bulk they only seem to last 6 hours or cheaper to clean tank. Fuel set / additives not doing the job.

Freebee

Visit site
You indicate that you have used fuel set presumably to kill bugs in the fuel, once killed they become a contaminant. This contaminant if it is agitated by for example the motion of the boat will come through in the fuel stream and plug your filters hence 6 hours life. By all means use non marine filtration if it fits your housing and is cheaper. Cut up your old filter examine the pleats and try and see what it is thats plugging your filter. It could be dirt, slimes indicate bugs. Your existing filters are doing the job you bought them to do they are removing contamination from the fuel. Strip any water bottom from the tank and consider, stripping the fuel out of the tank and cleaning it via an external large fuel filter and also cleaning the tank. E mail me direct if you have further problems I have 30 years experience in fuel filtration!

DepSol

Visit site
Fuel set is great with long and constant use but to zap the sludge and disintergrate the bugs you will need to use Soltron. See previous threads. Just cured a naval vessel with the bug so bad it looked like seaweed growing in his tank, they were up and running in no time.

Double dose it (1:2500) and then post the results on a thread to prove it to the sceptics out there who dont think it works.

G

You hear lots of talk about soltron but nobody seems to stock it. Their web site shows a company in Belfast distributes it. Have spoken to them they want you to send money first and will post to you. I like to look first then buy.

Geoffs

Visit site
I too found it tricky to find a supplier, Soltron say they don't have an outlet in Oxfordshire. I go to Dorset a lot and they have an outlet in Christchurch, Kayfor Environmental Services, Stoney Lane, if you're ever down that way. They charge £30 for half a litre, which is a bit above the going rate, I think.

Full address

Kayfor Environmental Services
Stony Lane
Christchurch
Dorset BH23 7LQ

Tel: 01202 476902

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Geoffs on Mon Oct 22 08:43:21 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

DepSol

Visit site
Got this info for you guys, hope this helps.

Soltron stockists

Woodgreen Motor Factors Ltd
Unit 1 Apex Industrial Estate
22 Hythe Road
London
Tel: 020 89694009)

Sailing Holiday Ltd
105 Mount Pleasant Road
London
NW10 3EH
Tel: 0208 4598787

GP Latter Engineering Ltd
85 Saint Leonards Ave
Windsor
Berkshire SL4 1HX
Tel: 01753 864861

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Colin Maslen and I have talked about trying to bring some in from USA as it appears to be less than half the cost of UK.
We'll keep you posted - if you're interested let us know as if we buy in bulk ie 1 - 5 gallons price reduces dramatically!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We've emailed several US companies about shipping, Will let you know outcome, and no I aint going to swim, if I did price would increase slightly!!!

jfm

Visit site
Where not to get soltron

Depsol that was really cr@p info. All three of those were bumsteers. The first was a wrong# it was the number of the firm NEXT DOOR to Woodgreen MF. The second is a sailing holiday company (as name suggests). The third is an engineering firm that has never heard of Soltron.

I'm struggling to find a mail order supplier, will keep trying.

JFM

jfm

Visit site
Re: Mike Horrill

Mike, I noted your long epxerience in fuel. Can you give us your opinions/advice on Soltron please? Both for marine diesels, and cars. Thanks.

JFM

jfm

Visit site
Re: got soltron

I've ordered 1/2 litre from Kayfor, credit card mail order £31 incl post. Will try it and report back.

I'm measuring mpg of a diesel car over the next 5 or 6 tankfuls of diesel, using the fuel qty off the garage forecourt and the mileage per the car's odometer, then I'll stick the soltron in and see what happens over another 5 or 6 tankfuls. Obviously I'm only measuring mpg improvement, not its ability to kill a load of bugs

JFM

jfm

Visit site
Re: Where not to get soltron

Byron, maybe I got through to a dolt, but I called GP Latter and they hadn't heard of it.

Anyway thanks for the price info, looks like Kayfor in Dorset are charging the "correct" price. I've ordered from them, they seemed efficient, promised to despatch today

JFM

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: Soltron

Fred has drifted to Soltron again, never mind.

Thought you all might be interested in my experiences. I’ve been running Soltron in diesel car and petrol boat about two weeks.

Boat

3 litre Mercruiser petrol
Covered about 100 miles in various sea & tide states.

Definite improvement in fuel economy from about 4.5->5 mpg to 5.5->6mpg, as best as I can measure.
Engine runs better, less induction roar from crude intake silencer, and starts when warm with throttle in idle/neutral position, just like a fuel injected engine.

Car

2 litre diesel (BMW)

Definite performance boost, but not significant change in economy. It’s a bit better around town, maybe 1 or 2 MPG measured on trip computer.

Overall improvements I think, but I wonder about subjective changes, having paid £30, I WANT to see a benefit! I’ve not d had any bug problems or anything, that’s where the big benefits come, seemingly.

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: got soltron

As a matter of interest, when I visited Kayfor I spoke to a very interesting chap. His business is Solar Energy, and he got involved with Soltron to get over problems he was having with his fleet of diesel vans. Says he's never looked back and is as enthusiastic as DepSol, even more so if you can believe that!

G

Take the boat over to the USA and bring a load back .safest way across Atlantic these days. Plus you will make aprofit on the soltron

DepSol

Visit site
Sorry

Only TRYING to help if I dont get the right info I cant pass on the right info. But dont worry about thanking me for trying.

If I am not 100% of anything you want in the future I will not bother posting anything for you!!!

maybe you could have worded it.....unfortunately Depsol those contacts were of no use, do you have any others that are currently supplying Soltron?

MANNERS COSTS NOTHING!!!