Fuel cans and fire extinguishers Lidls

graham

Visit site
07_7335_b.jpg

FE.jpg

1kg ABCdry powder extinguishers and 10 litre fuel cans From monday 30/July 07.both under £5 each.

graham

Visit site
If you have an engine space fire your first actions should be to stop the engines to stop them sucking more fresh air into the space.Also close any ventilators and shut off the fuel if possible before firing any extinguisher systems.

On larger boats there are normally AFFF (foam )extinguishers in the engine room as well as automatic or remotely fired extinguishers. Used to be halon ,I cant remember what it is now.

I think the attraction of the dry powder is that it can be used on almost any fire including electrical .

i was on a motorboat recently where a cable to a deck light caught alight .The volume of smoke from it was amazing.Down below I would say you would have seconds to get out.

LizzyD

Visit site
I know a little something of this subject. There are many people in the commercial world who will feed you all manner of bull's dropping about what is best for you, fire extinguisher-wise.

Fire and Rescue Services in the UK advocate that if you have a fire, don't attempt to put it out, rather you should leave and dial 999 for the Fire and Rescue Service to deal with it. However, on a boat things are much different. For a start, you might not be able to leave and you need to become your own Fire and Rescue Service.

I would advise the following. A fire on a boat takes hold faster than in a building, and when I say faster, I mean with frightening speed. The structure is largely plastic, wood or a combination of both and apart from burning really quickly giving you literally seconds to get out, it will produce large volumes of toxic smoke in a confined space filling it within a few seconds. So? Get a smoke alarm for your boat. Yes, it will probably go off when you're cooking and I'm sure you can thing of ways to deal with that. But a smoke alarm will also give you early warning of a fire in the night when you and your family are asleep. In domestic dwellings, the Fire and Rescue Service now advocates a practise fire drill and to think about how and where you would get out.

Now the extinguisher bit. Firstly, I should say that if you get a fire on board, to my mind that's a Mayday call and if you get the chance to hit the button for call one in, or get a family / crew member to do it then so much the better. The RNLI can always turn back. However, if it goes wrong and you end up abandoning the vessel, at least they're on their way to you. It's the same as making a 999 call to the Fire and Rescue Service, the maxim being, if in doubt, call them out!

Extinguisher-wise, dry powder is about the best you can get as it can be used on anything (with the exception of certain flammable metals like magnesium). Foam is only useful for a confined liquid fire such as oil so forget that. CO2 is worse as not only will it knock the fire out, in a confined space it will knock you out too! Halon replacements and Dry Powder can be used on anything. They don't have much in the way of cooling properties so once you've extinguished a fire on board, let it cool.

The three areas of likely fire on a boat are:

Engine;
Galley; and
Accommodation.

Engine rooms can be dealt with using powder. The powder interferes which the chemical reactions taking place within the flames and WILL put it out. Smoke and fumes will be a probelm so get down low. Powder makes a mess, I agree, but it doesn't make as much of a mess as a fire. Shut off the fuel and the power and once the fire is out, you can afford to let your heartbeat slowdown and take stock.

For the galley, you are likely to get a fire involving liquid such as fat or even spirit from a spirit burning stove. Again, powder will sort that for you. Most modern extinguishers usually work with a trigger mechanism, so when you let it go, it stops discharging. However, if you're sure, AND ONLY IF YOU'RE SURE, that the fire is out and you want to stop the extinguisher spurting powder everywhere, hold it upside down. This will allow the propellent gas (usually CO2) out and keep the powder in.

In the accommodation area, the same causes of fire will be found as are in domestic property. Naked flames from romantically situated candles, smokers and their materials and little darlings playing with fire. Candles are OK so long as they are situated out of the way, in a proper holder and are extinguished before going to bed. Never leave them unattended. EVER! I know of a woman who's bathroom was destroyed because she left a tealight burning on the edge of the bath. It wasn't in a holder and it burned through the plastic bath, which took hold and burned out the bathroom.

Smoking was once the highest cause of accidental fire in domestic premises in the UK at one time and in 2005, the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service dealt with 10 fatalities. 9 of these were caused by smoking materials. Fire Service advice is to put it out - right out! Little sweethearts will only play with fire if they can get hold of matches, lighters etc. Keep them out of reach.

So to deal with an accommodation fire? Powder will do the job, but so too will a bucket or bottle of water.

Shall I tell you the best way to deal with the fire risk on your boat? Prevention! Don't let it happen in the first place. Respect your LPG and its fittings, take care with the galley and the ashtrays. Get a smoke alarm and get a couple of powder extinguishers. Remember to keep one in a cockpit locker. It's no good the cabin being on fire and you can't reach the extinguisher because you've got to pass the fire to get to it.

OK. I've given lots of advice here. Do I follow it myself? Absolutely! I do have an advantage though. I have been a Firefighter for 30 years. I am currently a Group Manager in the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service. I have been Head of Fire Investigation since 2000 and have seen, many, many times the devastating effect fire can have and although many of us have never met in the flesh, I wouldn't want a single one of you to experience a fire at sea, or at home.

I've added some pictures just help to focus the mind.

1Settee.jpg

This was a fire in the living room of a house caused by a lit cigarette. Sadly, the occupant was found in the debris (not shown obviously).

P1010026.jpg

This was a bedroom where the occupant died whilst smoking in bed.

PC060005.jpg

This is a fire in an industrial unit where the cause was poor maintenance of electrical equipment.

If I can help further with advice or literature concerning fire safety, please let me know - and if I don't know the answer, I'll put you onto someone who will.

Take care all,

Lizzy D

graham

Visit site
Best post on the forum yet. could save one of our lives.

I would think that Yachting Monthly would publish that in the mag . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LizzyD

Visit site
Jinks,

I know Steve very well. Worked with him for years. Cracking bloke. He's one of our best fire investigators, and an all-round sound guy. How do you know him?

Lizzy D

Jinks

Visit site
I've also known Steve for years although not in a professional capacity. We both grew up in Llanharan and both of us still live there (typically Welsh /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). We're also both members of Llantrisant Golf Club, in fact I saw him up there last weekend. As you say, a hell of a boy; always good value and good company.

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Thanks Lizzie D- great advise

I do not have an extinguisher in the cockpit- 2 in the cabin and one automatic in the engine bay

Time to get one that is always to had me thinks