front covers of IPC mags

Iain C

Visit site
It's very simple. There's 3 or 4 mags on the shelf. I scan the covers to see what's in the issues. If there's something interesting, I'll pick it up that mag, have a flick through, and buy it.

It's not a book cover, it's an advert. It's a 15 second sales pitch as to why you should buy the mag...that's all.

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
It's very simple. There's 3 or 4 mags on the shelf. I scan the covers to see what's in the issues. If there's something interesting, I'll pick it up that mag, have a flick through, and buy it.

It's not a book cover, it's an advert. It's a 15 second sales pitch as to why you should buy the mag...that's all.

I do not need the dumbing down list of articles. If I want to know what is in the magazine I am quite capable of reading the contents page! The nice picture of the boat is enough of a sales pitch for me.

Lakesailor

Visit site

I seem to remember saying this early on in the thread.
Is Small Craft Advisor subscription only or subscription led?
No need for coverlines, but to compete on the shelves in the newsagent you need to appeal to the maximum number of potential buyers. Some of who may not like Centaurs.

This feels like a Full Lakesailoring again.

Seajet

Visit site
I do think Dylan has a point, the popular sailing magazines all have the same approach and look; hence why I personally think Nigel Merciers' idea of 'picture panels' illustrating the contents is a good one.

I do take your point that only the top left corner will be visible, but we have to assume a little intelligence from the prospective buyer, or it would be like the story of the chap on the boat who was chuffed to find 'Sex Simplified', only to find the fiddle rail had obscured the 'tant' after sex !

johnalison

Visit site
It's like the peacock's tail isn't it? Once upon a time magazine covers were mostly B&W with a bit of colour, then they became all-colour, then a bit glossier, and now they are all screaming at us visually just to stand still. Natural Selection in action.

jellylegs

Visit site
You need to take a broader view. Look at all the top mags - Vogue, OK, Wallpaper, Top Gear, etc. They all do it the same - its simple advertising.

wotayottie

Visit site
Surely we have the obvious front cover designer amongst us. Give the job to lakey -some of his covers would definitely increase circulation . Whether it would be in the demographic the advertisers want is a different matter.