Froggie's cruise underway

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Looks like the local paparazzi knew you where in town judging by the chap righthand side of this picture :)

Yes there were a few groups of photo hobbyists around down ladden down with gear. I only had my phone with me because I was too lazy to carry the SLR around on the folding bike. :) I've got some respectable 'keepers' from the phone.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Made a short passage this evening from Kinsale to Crosshaven in Cork Harbour

Approaching exit from Kinsale Harbour
DSC_0308.jpg

Charles Fort
DSC_0311.jpg

Sovereign Rock
DSC_0321.jpg

There is a ship wreak in there somewhere between the two halves of the rock. There were divers in the area diving other local wreaks.
DSC_0319.jpg

Arrived in Crosshaven this evening
DSC_0337.jpg

Royal Cork Yacht Club Marina - The oldest YC in the world
DSC_0338.jpg

sogood

Visit site
Andie Mate, if the weather was like this here all the Time, Wow!!!!
But, then again we might be infested with Crocs in the Shannon and Sharks in the Menai Strait
Then again I think there maybe a Shark in The Strait anyway
Before anyone says so!!
;)

We did have a pair of orcas filmed by Irish whale watch just a mile off the Dingle Peninsula about 8 weeks ago. Apparently following seals.

Kawasaki

Visit site
We did have a pair of orcas filmed by Irish whale watch just a mile off the Dingle Peninsula about 8 weeks ago. Apparently following seals.

Pair of Orcas were spotted by Angelsey too just the other week. Know nothin about Whales but some stuff about Wales, could be a short 'line out' to catch out the 'Opposition'?

BruceK

Visit site
What an absolutely stunning cruise in glorious weather. Awesome scenery. I may have to visit there myself one day if I can get equally good weather. Thank you for sharing :encouragement:

Andie Mate, if the weather was like this here all the Time, Wow!!!!
But, then again we might be infested with Crocs in the Shannon and Sharks in the Menai Strait
Then again I think there maybe a Shark in The Strait anyway
Before anyone says so!!
;)

Kwaks you daft beggar. Full well you know there are shark in the Menai. This off one of your favourite places. Mark identifier deleted of course so dont blurb.

Tally for Sunday was 3 plus one that bent the hook straight

Greg2

Visit site
Great thread Noel!

I am very envious being boatless during one of the best summers we have had in a very, very long time! Just our luck :)

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Just spotted this thread, Noel. Enjoy. The jet stream seems to be staying north for a while anyway. :)

Thanks Kevin. Hoping to spend the summer cruising the Cork/Kerry coast with all its scenic coves, beautiful anchorages, hospitality and cutsie villages.

Great thread Noel!

I am very envious being boatless during one of the best summers we have had in a very, very long time! Just our luck :)

Enjoy the rest of the trip!

Cheers Greg. Don't worry, you will be back on the water and enjoy good weather ahead. It's been a few years since we've been cruising out here due health constraints, but feeling very fortunate to have enjoyed this cruise so far.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Next up was a short passage from Kinsale to Crosshaven on a balmy summers evening. An option was for us to anchor up the river past the marinas in Drakes Pool, which according to folklore is where Sir Francis Drake hid and took refuge from the Spanish Armada. But alas we never got past RCYC's restaurant.

Approaching Cork Harbour from Kinsale (iPad BlueChart Mobile App)
IMG_2088.jpg

Roches Point Light House guarding the entrance to Cork Harbour
DSC_0332.jpg

Entering Crosshaven which has three marinas including RCYC
DSC_0337.jpg

RCYC Marina which has superb facilities.
IMG_7175.jpg

Royal Cork Yacht Club house. Did you know RCYC is the oldest YC in the world.
DSC_0430.jpg

After registering for a visitor berth we went for a meal at the club house open air restaurant.
IMG_7184.jpg

It will be pretty busy here next week as RCYC host 'Cork Week' which is a large bi-annual international sailing regatta.

http://www.corkweek.ie

. . . more anon. :)

EDIT - Whoops sorry I've posted a few duplicate photos. Can't keep track :)

Last edited:

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Next morning we made a short passage from Crosshaven to Cobh for lunch followed by a tour of Cork harbour and then on to Sandycove anchorage near Kinsale.

cruise2018_map_cork02.jpg

Cobh, formerly Queenstown was the departure point for many departing Irish emigrants crossing the Atlantic to America especially during the great famine of the 1850s. The population fell from 8.5m to 4m. Cobh was also the last port of call for RMS Titanic on its fateful maiden voyage. During WW1 Lusitania was sunk by a German U-Boat off the coast not far from here. The port of Cobh remained under British control until returned to Ireland in 1938 (i.e. one of the three 'treaty ports' retained after independence in 1922 until 1938 despite Churchill's protestations with the rise of fascisim in Europe that war was coming and they might be needed). There us now a Titanic/Lusitania museum directly connected to the railway station cafe. Nowadays Cobh is a popular tourist destination and a major Cruise ship port of call.
DSC_0427.jpg

Cobh Railway station houses the Titanic and Lusitania museum. You can just see the blue fendering at the cruise ship berth.
DSC_0404.jpg

We managed to moored at the small floating jetty connected to the Quay Restaurant beside the port of Cork tug boat dock.
DSC_0392.jpg

Tug berth in front of the 'Waters Edge' hotel
DSC_0396.jpg

Our berth for lunch in Cobh beside the old Titanic tender dock. Titanic did not berth here, rather her tenders which ferried passengers out to the ship. In the background is spike island which was a prison but is now a museum,
IMG_7209.jpg

Snack lunch at the Quay Restaurant overlooking the harbour.
IMG_7215b.jpg

Titanic monuments abound in this area
DSC_0401.jpg

Spit Bank Lighthouse, Port of Cork
DSC_0377.jpg

The Naval base at Haulbowline island
DSC_0415.jpg

Looking back at Cobh from Haulbowline
DSC_0417.jpg

Bofor Guns :) Irish Naval service main missions are Fishery protection on behalf of EU and Drugs interdiction on behalf of Ireland and EU. The Irish box extends 250 miles out into the Atlantic.
DSC_0410.jpg

Colourful Cobh
IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Our berth for lunch in Cobh beside the old Titanic tender dock. Titanic did not berth here, rather her tenders which ferried passengers out to the ship. In the background is spike island which was a prison but is now a museum,

I visited the Titanic museum on my recent trip to Ireland. To be honest I thought that the connection with Titanic was a trifle tenuous to say the least and the museum itself wasn't worth the entrance fee. Btw, Titanic could have docked in Cobh but the captain thought he could save a few hours by anchoring off and ferrying passengers to the ship by tender

Keep the photos coming! I see youre still having the luck of the Irish with the weather:D

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
I visited the Titanic museum on my recent trip to Ireland. To be honest I thought that the connection with Titanic was a trifle tenuous to say the least and the museum itself wasn't worth the entrance fee. Btw, Titanic could have docked in Cobh but the captain thought he could save a few hours by anchoring off and ferrying passengers to the ship by tender.

Hi Mike. I tend to agree, but they managed to extract the queens shilling from you didn't they :) :) The Titanic 'Experience' up in Belfast is superb. Have you managed to visit it? In relation to Cobh I suppose it's the connection with Titanic's last port of call, the Lusitania sinking and the famine ships that makes up its tourism story. BTW, the thing I found the most interesting was the photograph of the runaway locomotive that crashed through the station building. :) Noel

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi Mike. I tend to agree, but they managed to extract the queens shilling from you didn't they :) :) The Titanic 'Experience' up in Belfast is superb. Have you managed to visit it? In relation to Cobh I suppose it's the connection with Titanic's last port of call, the Lusitania sinking and the famine ships that makes up its tourism story. BTW, the thing I found the most interesting was the photograph of the runaway locomotive that crashed through the station building. :) Noel

No I haven't seen the Belfast Titanic museum but I will make a point of visiting the next time I am in the city with some time to spare!

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
We cruised from Cobh in Cork harbour for an overnight visit to a quiet anchorage back near Kinsale.

Sandy Cove island just 3 miles away from Kinsale makes a fabulous anchorage. When the tide is out its a peninsula.
IMG_2092.jpg

We arrived at LW and could clearly see the flat sandy bottom. No weed and water quite clear.
IMG_7270.jpg

The anchor and chain were clearly visible and nicely dug in. This pic was taken the next morning when we were starting to weigh anchor. At LW we had 2ft under the keel so good for the night and anchor drag alarm set for a good nights sleep.
DSC_0461.jpg

But first I went for a short swim and was surprised to find the shallow water as warm as it was. Factor 50 sun screen is working well. :) Daytime temp was 28 degrees.
IMG_7243.jpg

Had a look at the underside of the boat while in for the swim
IMG_7284.jpg

Shower off, and then time for a little BBQ after the other two boats left us alone in the anchorage for the night. Sat up late under the stars with candles.
IMG_7255.jpg

Sandy cove is full of caves that reminds one of childhood stories such as the famous five and smugglers.
DSC_0444.jpg

Nice view to wake up to next morning as we took warm croissants out of the oven for breakfast.
DSC_0451.jpg

We watched this as this dive school boat arrived with trainees under instruction. It was interesting watch the bubble pattern move around the cove but surprised they were not flying a diver down flag. Strict 3kt speed limit in this area because it is one of the main training areas for long distance swimmers.
DSC_0454.jpg

Sandy Cove is actually an island at HW and long distance swimmers train by swimming around it. Bemused mountain goats watch as one such swimmer slowing progresses around the island in the foreground
DSC_0468.jpg

Time to return to Kinsale for lunch and some shopping with 'Frogette' :)
IMG_7291.jpg

KYC summer sailing school busy with youngsters in Kinsale harbour
DSC_0479.jpg

You can't say parts of Kinsale town are not colourful. We had an evening snack in the 'Milk Market'. The folding Brompton bikes have proved invaluable over the years for shore excursions and exploring.
IMG_7145.jpg

Last edited:

AndieMac

Visit site
Fantastic report Noel, thanks for taking the time to construct this, it really makes a viewer feel part of the cruise. Hope the fab weather continues for you, cheers

scubaman

Visit site
Fantastic report Noel, thanks for taking the time to construct this, it really makes a viewer feel part of the cruise. Hope the fab weather continues for you, cheers

Absolutely +1. Those pics and your elaborate description of events really convey the feeling well and make you feel as if you were there. Thank you for the update!