Freshwater smell

penultimate

Visit site
During the winter I flushed through the freshwater system with hot water and Milton and rinsed throughly. The boat only carries 15 galls. and water usage is minimal. Already the water has a hydrogen sulphide smell.
If I can tolerate the small, is there any health risk?

johnalison

Visit site
and rather alarmingly, is not detectable by smell in toxic concentrations!

Our pressurised unit does not smell, but the infrequently-used foot-pump to the galley tends to. To me, it's like garden weeds; best not to worry about it.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I get a bad eggs smell when I first pump water having not been on the boat for a week or so in hot weather. After 15 of so pumps the smell has gone and it tastes fine. Always assumed it was the water in the pipe between the tank and fitting 'stagnating'.

I rarely drink the water without boiling it first as I usually have bottled water for 'cold' drinks.

Not done me any harm that I am aware of!!

shmoo

Visit site
I don't know what the composition of tap water is but just had a look as a bottle of Sainsbury's bottled and that has 10mg/l suphate. If even some of that got converted to HS by bugs you would soon smell it.

Some "theraputic" spa waters smell quite strongly of HS and if they had harmed anyone I am sure we would have heard

Bilgediver

Visit site
I find that one baby bottle sterlising tablet with each water fillup stops this smell and does not affect the coffee or tea.

It is bugs in the stagnant hose between the tank and sink. MAybe new hose might help???

Pity the headmistress isn t around as she has views on this one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif