Fresh Water Pumps

Goldie

Visit site
I think my FW pump is on the way out and am researching a replacement. The easy option is a 1-for-1 with a similar pump which works with an accumulator. The accumulator needs pressurizing a couple of times per season so I'm wondering, do I fit much the same again, or are the new generation of "smart" pumps (e.g. Jabsco VSD) which promise almost silent running and operate, pulse free, without an accumulator. Do they do what it says on the box? Are they worth the extra money?

ksutton

Visit site
Your accumulator should not need regular charging, so as well as new pump, you may have to consider a new accumulator as well which might be the deciding factor on what type of new pump you go for. Of course it may be just the schrader valve on your accumulator which is leaking air.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Yes I agree also that either the accumulator valve is leaking or the diaphragm punctured.

I have often seen the pumps on boats set at unrealistic high pressures in some cases as much as 40 PSI . This causes unecessary wear and tear. I cannot see any need to go above 20 psi which is probably even higher than the pressure that the modern variable supply pumps run at.

There is usually an adjustment to vary operating pressure.

saltwater_gypsy

www.saltwatergypsy.com
I can recommend the Jabsco Sensormax pump which has a flow sensor rather than a pressure sensor and does not require an accumulator.
It is however recommended that an accumulator is attached to the feed to the hot water system after the non-return valve to allow for thermal expansion but I don't think this is essential.
The pump gives a constant flow of water ,is fairly quet and is particularly good in mixer taps or showers.
100% recommended. No connection with Jabsco and would go as far as to say that their pressure sensing pumps are rubbish!!!!( I have replaced more pressusre sensing switches than I care to remember)