French inshore waters forecast by Navtex?

argus

Visit site
I have just fitted a NASA Navtex pro engine.
I plan on cruising down to Le Havre this summer in short coastal hops, as a fair weather sailor I always listen to our inshore waters forecasts. Can I recieve similar forecasts via Navtex along the French coast between Calais and Le Havre?
I have read whatever I can find on Navtex but nowhere can I find reference to French inshore waters forecasts for metarea I.

AdrianPetts

Visit site
There are very good local area forecasts on navtext for the french coast. I would even suggest they are more accurate than those we get from British met office. See that your navtext stations include T & A on 518Khz and E on 490 Khz. They are in French but easy to follow. You can also get the same forecasts by going to www.meteofrance.fr where you can practice reading in french. They are also broadcast in french on VHF but a portable tape recorder is often usefull for these as some readers go very fast. Good cruising.

Ric

Visit site
I disagree with Perfect Number's reply. There are no coastal weather forecasts on French Navtex. The forecasts are for sea-areas only. The two channels give out exactly the same info for sea-areas, one in French and the other in English.

I asked Meteo France a few years ago why they did not offer coastal weather forecasts on Naxtex as in the UK, and they replied that this was because they needed to dedicate one channel to French and another to English language, so did not have the possibility as in the UK to use one channel for coastal weather forecasts.

To get coastal weather you need to use VHF. Forecasts are very accurate and reliable and transmitted in French and in English. Details can be found on the Meteo France site.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with Perfect Number's reply. There are no coastal weather forecasts on French Navtex. The forecasts are for sea-areas only. The two channels give out exactly the same info for sea-areas, one in French and the other in English.

I asked Meteo France a few years ago why they did not offer coastal weather forecasts on Naxtex as in the UK, and they replied that this was because they needed to dedicate one channel to French and another to English language, so did not have the possibility as in the UK to use one channel for coastal weather forecasts.

To get coastal weather you need to use VHF. Forecasts are very accurate and reliable and transmitted in French and in English. Details can be found on the Meteo France site.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree

French Navtex is used to broadcast forecast of "Large" sea areas (in the Channel they will be Ouessant, Casquets, Antifer, etc), whereas VHF is used for "Cote" areas (usually up to 20nm fron the coast), in the Channel they will be "Frontiere belge to baie de somme", "Baie de somme au cpa de la Hague", and "Cap de la Hague à Penmarch'", these latter are not available on Navtex

oddily, from France I can receive the UK Inshore Waters forecast