French gas

harnser

Visit site
Does any one know where I can get Butane gas cylinders, in England, that can be exchanged in France? I don't want to carry half a dozen different bottles and have been told that I can't exchange Calor butane types.

steverow

Visit site
Camping gaz is really the only option if you want to get maximum interchangability.. It's universal and you can exhange anywhere in Europe.
I suppose it depends on how much gas you intend to use.
Camping gaz is perhaps the most expensive option.
You could always just fit another regulator when the need arises and have both calor and camping gaz`regulators.
We use camping gaz in 2.72kg cylinders. One cylinder lasts us for about two to three months, as it only heats water and the occasional cooking that cant be done in a microwave multi oven.
We spend most weekends on the boat even in winter.

Hope this helps

Steve.

Talbot

Visit site
If you normally carry calor gas and have the standard screw on regulator, you dont need to buy a special camping gas regulator. Go along to a normal caravan shop, and most of them sell a brass screw on tap designed to fit the top of the screw-on camping gas and allow the calor regulator to be fitted.

Dave1258

www.fantasyflowers-uk.com
We use 'Le Cube' gas cylinders, french own brand..

In France both butane and propane are readily available at service stations and hypermarkets. As in the UK you pay a deposit on the bottle and sign a form to agree that it still belongs to the gas company, and pay for the gas itself. Deposits vary but you may pay 30-35€. You'll need a French regulator, which is not usually on sale where you buy the bottles but may be found in a hardware shop or hypermarket at maybe 9-10€. Then you exchange your empty bottle for a full one at any sales point as in the UK. Again as here, there are different brands with identical fittings but they will not exchange each others bottles. (where UK brands are swappable they are between companies in the same group). If you don't want a big 13kg bottle the French also do a 6kg black plastic 'Le Cube' which is very convenient. However it needs yet another different adaptor/regulator!

Regards Dave

TrailerSailer

outnumbered.the-russells.net
When I lived in America we just took our cylinders to the local 'gas' station and were refilled just like a car is here. I noticed in one of the recent camping mags that they are selling similar type cylinders that can be refilled at car LPG stations. Looked similar in size to Calor cylinders - probably the same with an alternative connector on top. Experience from USA was good so I don't see why it should not work here.

harnser

Visit site
thanks to all for the helpful comments, even the one about Saudi Arabia! I will probally plump for the camping Gaz. Beer doesn't take much cooking anyway!