French Customs - up to the minute -

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
You might read my post below as I was thoroughly "rummaged" off the Dorset coast. I'd have no objection personally to the "gold braid" asking me to heave to, but I had the greatest objection to being "raided".

I still think they were having a dummy run at my expense, but how can you prove it. I also think that when they have "rummaged" or "raided" a boat and found nothing some PR department ought to write and thank us for our cooperation.

John

janetp

Visit site
Re: French Customs - Don\'t Panic

Regularly travelling between CI & French coasts over the years we have found that friendly respect for their position is reciprocated. All they have ever been concerned with are boat registration details & nos. of people on board and their passports - which they note down and subsequently enter into their computer database. Keep the "fiche" they issue and show it should you be bothered again that trip.
If you can speak a little French (even if it is obvious that at least one of them understands English perfectly) this is appreciated and they may explain to you what the problem is that particular year ......... this year they were after illegal immigrants but I can remember - stolen yachts, tobacco smuggling, gun running, drug smuggling...
Don't come over all British indignant - you are after all in foreign waters!!!!!!

G

True Story,,, Launched my fishing boat from the N.Forland into flat calm,not another boat insight, went about 1.5 miles off and dropped anchor, me and mate fished away happily for next 3 hours.
In meantime 5 large commercial boats arrive into the deep water anchorage and "park-up" all around us.
Me and mate are holding our rods because it was one of those rare days when the fish were actually biting.
Next thing I know a large RIB appears with 4 guys aboard and the words "H.M.Customs" written on the side.
Nice customs man hails us (and I kid you not).
What you doing?
I thought he's having a larf,,,I did think about saying "I'll give you 3 guesses" but thought better of it (coward at heart)
Fishing I replied.
Whats your boats name he said?
I stood up and pointed to the big black letters on the side of the cuddy and shouted LILLY-W waggling finger along general line of writting but he was having problems understanding as his helm was having difficulty in holding station and was now about to run over my anchor warp.
He's now on the otherside of the boat so I cross over and he shouts again
Whats the name of your boat, I again point to the lettering.
How long have you been here?
A lot longer than all these other buggers I said, generally pointing to the commercials.
AND HOW LONG WOULD THAT BE SIR, his voice getting a little tetchy now
I launched Palm Bay at 0700 hours was my reply.
Have you seen any other small boats today?
Yes 3-4
Where are they?
I haven't got a Bl**dy clue but they went that way, (pointing N.E)
With that he left me in peace

Gunfleet

Visit site
This isn't sailing but it's true. When I was a student I used to drive my Dad's lcensed cab on Saturday nights. Eventually I get stopped by the police. So what's his question? 'Where are you going?' Get in, sez I, and we'll go anywhere you like. It's a taxi. Ithengu

gtmoore

Visit site
Does that include the Insurance Schedule? I recently asked my broker whether I should take the original or a copy on board and was advised the latter due the original being "an important document that should be kept safe" !!