french canals

briananddoreen

Visit site
I am shortly taking my Moody carbineer down to the Med via the Marne route and would like some advice as to mast transport by road, (57ft main) I seem to remember some names of companies being mentioned on the forum ages ago but I cannot find the post.
I would also like advice on which of the two ports ie st Louis or Bouc is the best destination to send the masts, can anyone help please?

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I don’t know port Bouc but at port St Louis you could have your mast put up when tied up alongside before you lock out.

27PortStLouis.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

chrisc

Visit site
YEEEEES
but that crane is a bit rusty and not too stable
much easier (but more expensive) to take it round corner
to Port Napoleon and let them do it on a flat bit of water with
decent equipment ,they have all the facilities and receive masts
before you arrive.Too expensive to stay there long tho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PLEK

Visit site
We took our boat through the marne route in October last year and took our 55ft mast with us on a 42ft boat,it was not too much hassle as long as it is tied down well and for us the costs of transporting at £1400 were just too high.
We are in Port Napoleon at the moment and it is a very well run establishment with good travel hoist and crane.I would definitely not use the crane just outside the lock at Port St Louis it does not look safe.If you need any more info send me an email.

<hr width=100% size=1>

samuel

Visit site
I know this is nothing to do with masts but I have seen the Briananddoreen logs on the forum before. You are asking the questions I have wanted answers to, Internet Etc. so I have been reading replies carefully
It seems to me that the "outside" route is going to be like a motorway come 01 May .
I am wondering what your draft is. I intended to do the canal route to appease the wife but once the boat was bought I realised that the canals probably would not take my 1.750 draft. When you read notes in guides stating the Marne route is 1.800 deep then little comments that parts are less I get concerned.
Is your boat similar draft & if so are you confident you can get through. If so please put a note on the forum when you do. I still have not managed to get any one who has similar drat to mine to admit they have managed it.
Any way good luck on the journey

<hr width=100% size=1>Justisla

PLEK

Visit site
Our boat is 1.5m draft with a wing keel and the Marne route was reasonable for us.There was one section of about 4km where we ploughed the mud the whole way but that apart we usually had about o.2 m under the keel.Having said that there were many occasions when we were unable to get within 2 metres of the bank because it was shallow close in.In theory you should be able to make it with a boat up to 1.8m draft as you know and I am sure people have.However if it was me,given our recent experiences,I would think it quite risky.

We also had issues with air draft and the specified maximum of 3.5m is absolutely accurate and there are many bridges with this as clearance.We just squeeked through with 3.45m

Good luck with it all.

<hr width=100% size=1>