french canal system

simon13

Visit site
What qualifications do i now need (if any ) to enter the French canal system?I wish to take a 9 metre sailing boat through and have heard various stories.Would i need to attend an rya course?Any information is gratefully accepted.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

You will need RYA Day Skipper Practical Certificate or Coastal Practical or Yachtmaster which will entitle you to an International Certificate of Competence.You then need to pass a CEVNI written exam so that you can get your ICC suitably endorsed.If you don't have necessary RYA practical ticket then you can do an ICC exam.The bottom line is you need an ICC with CEVNI endorsement.Talk to the RYA or visit their website for details or talk to an RYA approved sailing school.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I think you'll find there is a world of differnce between an ICC and a Yachtmaster! The ICC certificate is awarded after passing a simple motoring test, going alongside/leaving a pontoon, turning and reversing. I believe it takes about 40 minutes. The CEVNI exam tests your understanding of the various signs and notices that you will see on European canals. It's a tickbox paper of 20 (I think) questions.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
<<I think you'll find there is a world of differnce between an ICC and a Yachtmaster! >>
There is Vyv, but the ICC + CEVNI is all you need for the canals. It's all I needed anyway
John (Non Yachtmaster and proud of it)

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Vyv, I think we are at cross purposes here.I am a Yachtmaster.Iwas trying to show that some sort of RYA practical qualification - Day Skipper or above - would entitle him to an ICC.I did say he could take an ICC exam in the absence of any of the former and that he would then need to take the CEVNI exam.As I tried to say in my post all he needs is an ICC with a CEVNI endorsement to cruise the canals.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Mine took a full weekend, three trips out to sea with a novice crew and then the written CEVNI test. If only it had been 40mins I might also have been £140 better off!

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For an ICC?

The <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rya.org.uk/Training/Default.asp?contentID=1992512>RYA site</A> says half a day and 10 minutes for the CEVNI test. My 40 minutes duration was from some time ago when the practical was the only requirement. It seems the syllabus may have been increased since then.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Re: For an ICC?

I took the ICC at Dart sailing School and as I said it took from a Friday evening until Sunday tea time. Passage planning, passage to Torquay under sail, up and down the Dart itself, collecting weather forecasts, tide info, man overboard drill as well as both motoring and sailing onto the Town Quay going both forward and astern.

The CEVNI test was a tick box job and took just a few minutes.

Don't forget that the ICC is valid for 5 years.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>