Fox's boat painter made redundant:

Sinbad1951

Visit site
Recently on this forum mention was made of Fox's boat sprayer/painter Dominic. He has been made redundant after 20 years and many from here can attest to his skills and workmanship alongside his knowledge of paints and which ones will work.
He sprayed my boat 14 years ago and she still looks good.
If anyone would like some work done, however small, he would be grateful. Contact me by pm for his email address and phone number.

sailorman

Visit site
Well thats a supprise & exceedingly sad news, Dom sprayed my boat 16 yrs ago & she is still as good as when he done her.
I was in the yard today & nothing was said about this.
could you pls pm me his contact details

Firefly

Visit site
Does this mean Fox's are no longer doing this type of work? Or have they cut costs by disposing of the best ( and therefore best paid) worker? Plus ca change (or similar).

Sinbad1951

Visit site
Two redundancies, one of 20 years there, the other longer. Yes more expensive than those left behind but not by much. Work will be done by less experienced staff (as always)

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Isn't this the inevitable reality of running a boatyard these days?
Not just boatyards-any industry that relies on keeping costs to the absolute minimum to keep in business, let alone make a profit. The service industries around the South East may be showing "strong growth and a recovery" as the Government crows, but tell that to the 400 just made redundant at JCB or the 1300 at Redcar. The real slump, not a recession, could be just around the corner.

Richard10002

Visit site
Could it be that, because he is so good, and his paint jobs last forever, there is a lack of repeat business??

If he is as good as suggested, he shouldnt be short of well paid work, perhaps freelancing for a number of yards... bit like the Phil Speights and Dave Moores in the narrowboat world.

sailorman

Visit site
Could it be that, because he is so good, and his paint jobs last forever, there is a lack of repeat business??

If he is as good as suggested, he shouldnt be short of well paid work, perhaps freelancing for a number of yards... bit like the Phil Speights and Dave Moores in the narrowboat world.

some customers choose better paint systems than some others who are somewhat short sighted :encouragement:

Silent Lady

Visit site
It's probably due to the new pension system. Employer has to pay 1% of employee salary to government pension pot first year. 2% Second Year and 3% Third and subsequent years starting 2016. It's alot extra to find for a skilled workforce. So probably all about cash than anything else.

pvb

Visit site
It's probably due to the new pension system. Employer has to pay 1% of employee salary to government pension pot first year. 2% Second Year and 3% Third and subsequent years starting 2016. It's alot extra to find for a skilled workforce. So probably all about cash than anything else.

I'd have hoped a company as good as Fox's would already offer some sort of pension scheme, so I can't see that the new pension scheme would be the reason. In any case, a few percent of salary equates to a very tiny percentage of turnover, probably easily covered.

Mandarin331

Visit site
It may not be just the pension. We had some work done there, which was first class, however the invoicing was a complete farce. Then went into the brokerage office last week, our discussions were cut short by a phone call, which went on for five minutes discussing the weather etc whilst we were completely ignored, at which point we walked out. Then went to the chandlery and walked out having found a pair of shoes was £40 more than we could buy them at Titchmarsh.

We won't be going back in a hurry and its a real shame that the guys who do superb work lose jobs when the management muck up.

sailorman

Visit site
It may not be just the pension. We had some work done there, which was first class, however the invoicing was a complete farce. Then went into the brokerage office last week, our discussions were cut short by a phone call, which went on for five minutes discussing the weather etc whilst we were completely ignored, at which point we walked out. Then went to the chandlery and walked out having found a pair of shoes was £40 more than we could buy them at Titchmarsh.

We won't be going back in a hurry and its a real shame that the guys who do superb work lose jobs when the management muck up.
The brokerage is independently owned & not a division of Fox`s, it has been so for about 3 yrs.
The chandlery will price match a local supplier

Stork_III

Visit site
The brokerage is independently owned & not a division of Fox`s, it has been so for about 3 yrs.

They may now be independently owned, (by who?), but the attitude and demeanor described doesn't appear to have changed since 2008, when I last had contact with them. They were a complete shower and I vowed I would never use them to sell any boat of mine.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Never understood the thinking behind this.
We will offer you a competitive price only if and when you bother to check prices elsewhere first.
What is this? Some sort of tax on the stupid?

I much prefer to spend my hard earned at a place that can be troubled to offer me a good deal right off the bat.
These days, more often than not, that is Seamark Nunn.

The only possible reason I can think of to visit Fox's chandlery is Henry in electronics.
He has always gone out of his way to be helpful and has always come up with the goods when we needed some spares or updates for our 'not so state of the art' electronics.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Never understood the thinking behind this.
We will offer you a competitive price only if and when you bother to check prices elsewhere first.
What is this? Some sort of tax on the stupid?

Just one of the reasons I am not considering Beta for a new engine. I prefer to deal with companies which state an honest price than companies which try to screw what they can out of you on the day. See also: Crusader Sails, World of Leather.

ianc1200

Visit site
"Just one of the reasons I am not considering Beta for a new engine"

Went to SIBS for a new 20hp 3 cyl engine in September. Yanmar & Beta broadly the same price. Nanni surprisingly £400.00 cheaper. Had such bad experiences of a Nanni & (even worse) dealing with Peachments would never have another Nanni, but Beta wouldn't budge their price down. For various reasons still bought the Beta.

Other threads that may be of interest