Fouled sterngear

Barry777

Visit site
i have been sailing in the Solent and surrounding area, as well as the French coast for more than 15 years, and there is no doubt that the number of pot markers has increased significantly over the years. This has been particularly noticeable over the last 2 years with a proliferation of poorly marked pots. 5 litre plastic cans in blue or black seems to be the favourite in the Eastern Solent.

Up to this year I have, I suppose, been fortunate because I have never fouled my sterngear. This despite a number of night channel crossings. However, this year i have picked up pots twice. On both occasions in the Eastern Solent. Once off Bembridge ledge, (no I wasn't close inshore) the other east of the "forts". On both occasions the offending plastic can was streaming in the tide with the main body of the can under the water. Fortunately i was sailing on both occasions and line caught in the rudder. on both occasions I was able to clear the line under engine and no damage was done. On the first occasion I reported the incident to Solent Coastguard.

The issue of indiscriminate laying of poorly marked and unsuitable markers - laid my whoever - has reached the point where official action is necessary. I read one comment on the "rules" laid down by the Channel Island authorities. Surely it doesn't take a genius to introduce some rules here - not guidlines as they will be ignored. Could the coastguard not log reported incidents to pass on the the RNLI or the relevant Government body.

Barry777

<hr width=100% size=1>