Foul Paint Job

Capt_Scarlet

Visit site
Is there a recognised order to mask / paint a boot-topping strip and hull anti-fouling?
Last time I did this, the anti-fouling came off on the masking tape, even though I didn't leave it on for long.
I don't normally bother with the strip, although I've just had a paint-job done on the topsides, so want it to look at its best.

Thank you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Bootop first, then mask off for antifouling, antifoul the top 6 inches only, feather the bottom edge out with a brush, 2 coats one right behind the other as soon as the first one is dry enough, this should me a couple of minutes; (I assume you are rolling your antifoul on), remove the masking tape as you go, as soon as the second coat is on and the paint is still very wet, this will prevent the edge lifting.

Tip: When pulling the masking tape off, pull up and just ahead keeping the back of you hand against the hull, this will give the break-away point a very narrow edge, reducing the chance of lifting.

Hope this helps . . . . . . . .

<hr width=100% size=1> Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Gaffer

Visit site
I have herd from several people over the years that their antifouling on the water line or just below the waterline has an adhesion problem, slides off or develops "fish eyes".

This happens when some enthusiastic soul polishes the topsides and some of the polish gets onto the surface where the antifouling is to be applied.

The answer is to mop down the area with thinners No. 3 prior to applying the antifouling. Be very careful not to splash the thinners into your eyes, very nasty.

<hr width=100% size=1>