Forestay Length?

C08

Visit site
I have an old but sound if a little grubby jib sail I was offering on a local free cycle forum. One of the members was wondering if it would fit a boat his friend is restoring which is a 1930's wooden boat. I appreciate this is like asking how long is a piece of string but how long would the forestay likely to be? I do not know if this is a dayboat or a cruiser.

Tranona

Visit site
No point in guessing. Easy to measure both the forestay length and the foot from forestay to mast.

C08

Visit site
The chap restoring the old boat has not had the mast up and does not know the forestay length. I was trying to ascertain if the sail might be suitable as I have lots of people who have requested it but I suspect most want a garden sunshade and I would prefer it to go to a boat.

Tranona

Visit site
But you are asking a piece of string question! The potential buyer can do a bit of geometry and measure mast base to tack fitting, mast base on deck to halyard sheave and the third side of the triangle gives him forestay length. Does not need the mast to be up.

Anyway it is for him to decide if it suits his needs not for you to tell him!

VicS

Visit site
I have an old but sound if a little grubby jib sail I was offering on a local free cycle forum. One of the members was wondering if it would fit a boat his friend is restoring which is a 1930's wooden boat. I appreciate this is like asking how long is a piece of string but how long would the forestay likely to be? I do not know if this is a dayboat or a cruiser.

A 1930s boat ?

Something similar to this perhaps?

6c84df5ce67475f57e196e90d0fb1212.jpg

i'd guess a forestay length of around 36 metres or so

C08

Visit site
Sorry I should have said the boat is wooden, 1930's and 20ft ish. It should make more sense now!

Tranona

Visit site
Sorry I should have said the boat is wooden, 1930's and 20ft ish. It should make more sense now!

Not a lot as it could have a lofty bermudan rig, could be 3/4 rigged, could have a short stubby gaff rig. Would guess somewhere between 20-30' luff length.

old_salt

Visit site
Hi Folks,
It may be me that CO8's Jib Sail is heading to, for Mercia III we should be able to hoist it off the bowsprit.
We are about to start laying the teak planks to the substrate 10mm ply deck having got the companion way sorted.
Just a shame for me daughters horses have taken so much of my time taking them to shows etc over the last couple
of years.
Now she has her own transport so more time can be spent back on boat work at last.
I notice Photo bucket have messed up all our posts photos, can we now post straight from our own computer stored files.
old-salt.

Mercia III 011.jpgMercia_III_re_vamp.jpg

Last edited:

old_salt

Visit site
Yep all done and dusted. A lovely couple I called to pick up the sail and had a lovely chat and a copper with Keith and his good lady.
I was telling him of the get together's we have had with the North West Mob over the last 10 years or so.
It's about time we had a get together again miss the ones with hlb Hayden, little ship Tom, sea rush Steve, the Sultan kapitan, Kilter Robin and his good lady, The Major and the unforgetab kawasaki Rich. and outhers I have met over the years all realy nice peeps.
We had a supper joint do with the splinter group "not the lounge forum" last November when the Ladys of the forums all came with their camper vans.
Come on We need some one to organize a late Sumer do in the North West.