Forehatch Help?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Was working at the back of the boat today when I heard a clatter. Initially I thought the ladder had fallen over but it hadn't (cos I had tied it up!), then noticed the forehatch which had been open had broken its hinges and blown off!

[image]
Forehatch1.jpg
[/image]

I have never been over confident of the arrangement, rarely open it at sea and been trying to think of how I can improve on the arrangements anyway but now need to do it this winter rather than in due course!

As you can see the hinges were pathetic
[image]
ForehatchHinge.jpg
[/image]
as is the securing catch
[image]
ForehatchCatch.jpg
[/image]
The hatch is about 24 inches across and 16 inches fore / aft and has a lip 1.75 inches high that the lid sits over. Can't really cut out a rectangle and replace with a modern hatch as it would go over the bulkhead into the heads.

Should I just replace with stronger hinges and catch or does anyone else have a cunning suggestion?

I have basic DIY abilities!

tillergirl

Visit site
Well you could use a piano hinge - ie the full length of the timber. I have such an arrangement but also two chains to stop the enormously heavy timber hatch from wrenching the hinges off the batten.

It would be nice to see some dome nuts on the through bolts! Stainless ones are easy to get and would finish it off nciely - but then you will be mixing metals which is to be avoided. I guess a stainless piano hinge would be the solution.

Frankly the hinge pins have done well for 30 years so don't be too hard on them!

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I've never worried about the bolt ends as the inner forestay stops anything getting near them (and stops the hatch opening past vertical) but looking at the picture they are a bit nasty!

I guess the problem occured as the mast is off and so the inner stay wasn't there to stop the hatch being pushed too far open.

Piano hinge it is with nicer bolts and a chunkier catch to bolt it down too.

Wunja

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The hatch is about 24 inches across and 16 inches fore / aft and has a lip 1.75 inches high that the lid sits over. Can't really cut out a rectangle and replace with a modern hatch as it would go over the bulkhead into the heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with a sunroof in the heads? That's the way my Jaguar is designed. Lots of fresh air and sunshine..... Well - lots of air.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CPD

Visit site
Peter, I would go for stronger hinges and catch. Also, for the Jester a few people had domes fitted where the hatch usually lives. Just a thought !

Other threads that may be of interest