Folly folly

Vanilla

Visit site
We also agree,

The Folly has really gone down hill since Andy and Cheryl left for the Wight Mouse Inn.

Way too expensive and not good enough quality.

Simes

Yup I agree. Food now VERY dull and limited choice with no specials. Especially so for fish eating veggies..... :(. The buzz and fun have gone too. Staff are fine but that's all that's fine. I hope it returns to form and wish Andy et al all the best in their new place. I'm sure they will make it a huge success as they did with the "old" Folly.

lustyd

Visit site
Still sounds like a cock-up, and one many of us have made.

My most stupid, rounding Cap de la Hague too late and facing a building west-going for most of the way to Chbg. Duh!

I don't think I said it wasn't a cock up - I said I don't think I was responsible for the cock ups :) Average boat speed was lower than expected, and we had a completely insane autopilot which appeared to keep a course during the crossing but in hindsight probably didn't do as well as we thought. It later demonstrated it's abilities nicely with a little dance routine...

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
swmbo was there Saturday night. 5 deep on the pontoons but the pub not as full as usual. Everyone said the food was fine, a bit slower to serve than normal possibly. Extension to 1 am to watch the England game ! Sounds like the OP hit it on a bad day. The water taxi may have been because of the festival.
To Lustyd. Funny how pubs change. we also stopped going to the Anchor in Cowes, preferring the Union. Went back to The Anchor recently. Much much better, new managers I think. Well worth another try !
Chris

We were there on Saturday night too. Not quite five deep along the whole pontoon but the pub was only half full. Even at that I had to complain at waiting over 30 minutes for our meal which came after all the rest of out party had finished eating.

The table dancing was also poorly supported (pardon the pun!)

Not in a hurry to go back, but have had several good meals in The Anchor this year.

hambleturtle

Visit site
Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the Folly for arriving on a Laser? I've popped over for lunch a couple of times and beached the boat in the mud next to the slipway. My visit last Wednesday lunchtime was fine - perhaps I'm not that fussy when I've been sailing (pie, chips, veg + pint = happy) - but alternatives that are dinghy friendly would be great.

Perhaps I just need to get the knack of tying up at pontoons on my own and resign myself to having to carry fenders and a mooring line.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the Folly for arriving on a Laser? I've popped over for lunch a couple of times and beached the boat in the mud next to the slipway. My visit last Wednesday lunchtime was fine - perhaps I'm not that fussy when I've been sailing (pie, chips, veg + pint = happy) - but alternatives that are dinghy friendly would be great.

Perhaps I just need to get the knack of tying up at pontoons on my own and resign myself to having to carry fenders and a mooring line.

You're happy to run it up the beach but you think it'll bash itself to death without fenders sitting neatly against a pontoon? A Laser is light enough to just bounce off of a pontoon, your only issue there is if it wedges underneath a high pontoon.

The Master Builders in Beaulieu would probably suit you, or if it must be Cowes then try the Lifeboat

l'escargot

Visit site
Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the Folly for arriving on a Laser? I've popped over for lunch a couple of times and beached the boat in the mud next to the slipway. My visit last Wednesday lunchtime was fine - perhaps I'm not that fussy when I've been sailing (pie, chips, veg + pint = happy) - but alternatives that are dinghy friendly would be great...

Try Gurnard and the Woodvale.

prv

Visit site
Average boat speed was lower than expected, and we had a completely insane autopilot which appeared to keep a course during the crossing but in hindsight probably didn't do as well as we thought.

Would have made sense in the days before GPS, but surely when plotting fixes you'd have seen you were coming unstuck from your expected track?

Pete

DPH

Visit site
Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the Folly for arriving on a Laser?

West end of Gurnard and the Little Gloster. Very nice but expensive.

Alternatively try taking a buoy in Cowes roads and get a water taxi

hambleturtle

Visit site
You're happy to run it up the beach but you think it'll bash itself to death without fenders sitting neatly against a pontoon?
Not overly happy running it up the beach, and some pontoons are ok but I don't want to find out ones too vicious when I get there. Mostly, I just haven't had enough practice coming up to pontoons in the laser especially on a lee shore. So I'd better get some practice I guess.
The Master Builders in Beaulieu would probably suit you, or if it must be Cowes then try the Lifeboat
I've not been to Beaulieu yet... should give it a try sometime thanks. No need to be Cowes just somewhere within a couple of hours of the Hamble.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
We were there on Saturday night too. Not quite five deep along the whole pontoon but the pub was only half full. Even at that I had to complain at waiting over 30 minutes for our meal which came after all the rest of out party had finished eating.

The table dancing was also poorly supported (pardon the pun!)

Not in a hurry to go back, but have had several good meals in The Anchor this year.

Ah, so were we on Saturday, in a 5 raft. Glad we didn't bother to go over, by the sound of it. The two couples on the next boat out went early, and seemed happy enough when them came back with their meal.
Didn't know the previous Managers had gone to the Wight Mouse Inn. Have to rethink future Club Rallies there.

Actually had a good lunchtime Fishermans Platter at the Master Builder, Bucklers Hd a couple of days earlier!
Contrary to Forum recd. wisdom.

l'escargot

Visit site
...Actually had a good lunchtime Fishermans Platter at the Master Builder, Bucklers Hd a couple of days earlier!
Contrary to Forum recd. wisdom.
We quite often have the fisherman's platter at the Master Builders, with a "bucket" of chips and have never been disappointed. Have found the food there on the whole to be quite good the last couple of years. Ate from the barbecue the other week and that was good too - despite the paper plates and disposable cutlery. The bar just seems to be lacking something in terms of atmosphere though for some reason, which is a shame.

Seajet

Visit site
Hambleturtle,

when ' cruising ' my Osprey dinghy - a bit of a spur of the moment decision, if organised we could have carried small fenders unlike a Laser - we draped our buoyancy aids over the gunwhale tied as fenders, all night alongside at Sheperds in cowes.

It worked well to no ill effect, though a downside is one wouldn't want the B.A. stolen or damaged...as I say it worked well though and it's what I'd do in your situation.

KevB

Visit site
If you went last weekend it was the isle wight festival and they were probably catering for the masses. We were moored there all weekend and it was very busy during the day.