Trudesign - anyone had any problems?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Fitted a Trudesign heads outlet with valve etc. Asked the boatyard when launched to check there were no leaks. Was told they have problems with 'frost' - is there any truth to this? They had not heard of Trudesign.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Never hear of that one but my boat is in Greece and frost isn't going to be a huge problem versus my home in Scotland.:D

I assume you really mean freezing absolutely solid when you say frost. Just a mild frost isn't going to do much at all.

I can see a Trudesign valve splitting if it is filled with water, completely sealed at both ends and popped in a freezer for a few days. A metal valve isn't likely to survive either.

I've seen bronze ball valves with a drainage hole to allow it to be completely emptied during storage in very cold regions. I suspect the only time it might be needed would be when wintering afloat in extreme conditions. The valve could be drained, when closed and boat afloat.

I don't think I've seen a similar option for TruDesign but simply leaving the valve open when ashore avoids any problems. Were you considering wintering afloat in North of Sweden?

The yard guys don't sound very competent if they've never heard of TruDesign? Why did they think TruDesign had frost issues but had not heard of TruDesign? Is the yard in a very undeveloped area (ignore that, I see you are in Suffolk)?

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Fitted a Trudesign heads outlet with valve etc. Asked the boatyard when launched to check there were no leaks. Was told they have problems with 'frost' - is there any truth to this? They had not heard of Trudesign.
That's absolute nonsense. How can they have problems with frost on fittings below the waterline ?

If they have not heard of Trudesign they must be living in caves.

That said, i think i'd rather fit Forespar seacocks

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I replaced the toilet soil thru hull and valve with tru design. No issues several year on

I would recomend them.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Only caveat with Trudesign was to remove any wooden backing pads which a surveyor advised can swell if wet and split the fitting.
Forespar say :

A backing block or an equivalent structure molded integrally into the resin/glass hull lay-up is required for installations on all non-flat hull surfaces. This is also recommended procedure for flat surfaces as well. For wood backing blocks, white oak is a commonly used wood. There may be other suitable materials as well.

My boat already had wooden backing pads, fitted in 1988 when the boat was built. I'd agree with Bobc

doug748

Visit site
About 10 years ago someone fitted one of these units and it fell apart tout suite, which put me off a bit. Can't remember which one it was but I have a vague memory that it might have come from the USA but I may be wrong. He was a credible bloke and posted some YouTube video and also had a blog with photographs
- someone may remember. I think he had an older boat on the Solent and may have had links with Ipswich.

This was the link to his blog which has long since been taken down:

http://todayiboughtaboat.eu/2016/04/30/a-month-of-boat-jobs-in-ipswich/

IT fiends may be able to resurrect the content?